Essential Job Functions:
1. Assesses the delivery of nursing care and patient safety in the surgery department and identifies problems and need for improvement.
2. Assesses the health status of all patients prior to the surgical procedure and evaluates the patient's emotional status and understanding of the surgical procedure.
3. Assess and interprets reports, records and verbalized pertinent information among other health tem members. Including accurate I.D. of patient, completed consent form, last oral intake, cultural beliefs and other pre-operative evaluations.
4. Participates in developing, reviewing, and revising policies and procedures and/or revising policies and procedures and/or assigned committees as directed by the OR manager.
5. Promotes harmonious relationships and favorable attitudes among health care team.
6. Assists with orientation of new employees.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of location, care and use of all equipment and supplies pertaining to the operating room.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of sterile/aseptic technique and recognizes and corrects any breaks in this technique.
9. Completes all forms, records, and requisitions for each case. Collects specimens at appropriate time and labels correctly.
10. Maintains patient safety throughout patients stay in surgery department. Complies with safety and emergency procedures consistent with policies and procedures.
11. Assists anesthesia during induction. Keeps alert to needs of surgical and/or anesthesia team at all times and carries out all orders promptly. Assesses, monitors patient v/s and other physiological parameters and notifies appropriate personnel of any deviation from normal.
12. Assesses patients educational needs and performs pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative teaching that is pertinent to the patients procedure and evaluates effectiveness.
13. Gives complete face to face report to any receiving nurse.
14. Performs instrument and sponge counts with scrub tech as designated by hospital policy.
15. Demonstrates knowledge of and skill in completing all operating room procedures.
16. Keeps family, significant others, and surgical coordinator updated on patient and procedure status.
17. Assists in pulling case, checks procedure setup, updates preference card and restocks supplies.
18. Keeps up to date with communication book and emails.
19. Performs preop and postop calls.
The circulating Surgical RN under the supervision and direction of the Surgical Nurse Manager, is a full time employee responsible for coordinating the care of all patients in the operating room, recovery room and out-patient areas. Is responsible for meeting the established surgical standards of nursing practice, for managing all assigned personnel, supplies and equipment in the operating room, recovery room and out-patient area and for promoting teamwork with physicians and personnel of other departments.