This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center. It is expected that the employee demonstrate behavior consistent with our core values: Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion Synergy and Integrity. The employee shall support Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center's strategic plan and participate in and advocate performance improvement/patient safety activities.
The Scheduler/Secretary performs a broad range of secretarial and administrative functions. This position oversees the daily operations of the perioperative scheduling, including scheduling invasive and non-invasive procedures, GI procedures and surgery procedures. S/he complies and completes accurate and timely information for patient medical records and charges utilizing the hospital computer system. The Scheduler/Secretary performs effective scheduling for efficient patient flow and completion of required documentation. S/he maintain effective working relations with co-workers, nurses and physicians, outside services and other staff members in order to ensure workflow effectiveness. S/he creates an image of quality service and demonstrates critical thinking, problem solving, tact, diplomacy, discretion and judgment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal form.
- Schedules patients accurately and timely.
- Explains the prep requirements accurately to the patient or office staff.
- Avoids HIPAA violations by choosing the correct MRN in Radiant/Cadence/Epic.
- Ability to interact in a positive and constructive manner and promotes conflict resolution
- Enters insurance name, identification number, and phone number in notes on the Referral in Radiant.
- Provides excellent customer service using 'Simply Better' and AIDET principles.
- Ability to understand insurance requirements and asks for authorization numbers when required.
- Ability to answer calls timely, professionally, and maintains wait time goal of 1 minute or less.
- Ability to be at work and be on time.
- Ability to follow company policies, procedures and directives.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- 2 or more years of experience in scheduling, admitting, or physician office experience
- Highschool diploma required
- Must communicate effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing
- Strong customer service skills
- General knowledge of insurance payors: PPO, HMO, POS, EPO, Medicare, Medi-Cal, & Cal-Optima
- Bi-lingual (English/ Spanish, or English/ Vietnamese) preferred
- Positive work ethic
- Strong organizational skills
- General computer skills required including: electronic medical record and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of medical terminology