We Are Hiring
Surgical Technologist - Surgery 001 - Full-Time,Evening - HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
SCHEDULE: Full Time Evenings - 3:00pm-11:30pm, Weekdays with rotational scheduled Saturday 7am-3:30pm. Rotational On Call weeknights and weekends, Rotational Holidays. Thirty minute response time to the hospital for On Call duties.
Why Join Ascension?
As the leading healthcare provider in mid-Michigan, Ascension Genesys Hospital has been improving our community's health for more than 95 years, and part of Ascension since 1999. As a group of affiliated medical campuses, outpatient centers, primary care locations including a network of 160 primary care physicians and ancillary healthcare organizations, we share a philosophy of providing personalized care to every person we serve.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to provide technical services and assists professional nursing staff and physicians in providing patient care as assigned and directed in all types of operations. Works in accordance with established standards of performance and the philosophy and objectives of the nursing department. Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care to age group(s) served. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- 1. Complies with established standards and maintains department, unit, hospital policies and procedures including such things as: Quality assurance, safety, and infection control. Maintains a clean, orderly, safe environment for patients and staff. Cleans, dusts, and organizes cupboards, shelves, and equipment.
- 2. Communicates and cooperates with others to achieve departmental objectives. Maintains patient rights and confidentiality of patient information.
- 3. Attends required meetings, in-services, educational programs, continuing education, and self development programs to stay abreast of current trends and demonstrates the ability to understand and perform procedures.
- 4. Scrubs and sets up operating rooms with all necessary instruments/supplies in accordance with department policy and surgeon preferences and routines. Initials and updates doctor specific preference cards. Observes aseptic technique. Prepares and assists with surgical procedures. Cleans, decontaminates, wraps, and sterilize equipment and instruments. Performs preps in nursing units as necessary (i.e. sterile preps, bone preps, shaving etc.). Assist in the transportation of patients. Assists scrub or circulating nurse as directed.
- 5. Drapes patient, prepares operative site with germicides and holds retractors as requested.
- 6. Sutures subcutaneously, utilizes electric cautery, ties sutures utilizing one and two handed techniques. Performs simple clamping, retracting, and suctioning,
- 7. Explains and demonstrates techniques and methods used in the operating suite to new staff.
- 8. Maintains inventory, preserves and labels operative specimens, smears, cultures, and transports to laboratory for analysis.
- 9. Assists employees in performing housekeeping tasks to clean the rooms following surgery (i.e. emptying hamper bags, taking care of soiled linen, and waste materials, etc.).
- 10. Keeps supplies and equipment organizes and assures all unused equipment and supplies are put in the proper storage area.
- 11. Works with peri-op team to provide total care and has operating knowledge of equipment and instruments needed for all surgical procedures.
- 12. Demonstrates competency in all specialty areas and routinely rotates through all services.
- 13. Assists OR R.N.'s in coordinating supplies and/or operation of equipment off the field
- 14. Keeps supplies and equipment organized. Maintains, stores, and locates adequate supplies in OR, surgical suits and supply rooms. Sets up, runs, and monitors equipment to insure proper operation; notifies supervisor or designee of equipment needing repair.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1) Must possess interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively when working withphysicians, staff and patients; 2) Regular walking and the ability to stand for long periods of time; 3) Ability to lift and move patients and perform repetitive physical activity
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Setting is a surgical suite; May be exposed to patient illness, communicable diseases, blood hazards and hazardous chemicals
- ORIENTATION REQUIREMENTS: Must attend new employee and department orientations
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification; it is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision; the most recently dated job description on file in Human Resources will be considered the official job description
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Preferred Credential(s):
Equal Employment Opportunity