Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
Performs technical skills and provides assistance to surgeons, anesthesia personnel, registered nurses, and other professionals in the operating room. Performs similar duties in other areas of the hospital as assigned.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of surgical procedures and instrumentation
- Selects instruments, equipment and supplies for each surgical procedure
- Prepares room for procedure by setting up sterile tables and checking equipment and supplies
- Scrubs for surgical procedures: helping the surgeon with prepping and draping patients, passing sterile instruments and supplies, and assisting with the surgical procedures, as appropriate
- Understands and follows the principles of sterile technique, and takes steps to remedy breaks in sterile technique when observed
- Identifies specimen before passing off the field and transports specimens to Pathology, as directed
- Operates specified OR equipment in the manner in which they have been trained to use it
- Assists RN with circulating duties, as delegated
- Assists with transfer of patients into or out of operating room
- Cleans rooms, instruments and equipment appropriately
- Identifies and reports instruments and equipment in need of maintenance
- Assists in teaching scrub role responsibilities to residents, nurses, and surgical technologist students
- Supports operating room team as needed
- Keeps up-to-date on new procedures and equipment and communicate changes to other staff
- Pursues professional growth and development
- Performs all responsibilities/duties required, as defined in the scope of service, to ensure that the unique nature of the client is addressed
- Functions as a role model for current and new surgical staff
- Completion of Surgical Technologist program from an accredited institution, or applicable military training, or two (2) years experience as a surgical technologist
- An approved equivalent combination of training and experience
- CST Certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- A firm understanding of the surgical process and the ability to use critical thinking skills to assist the surgeon in providing high quality patient care
- An ability to remain calm in sometimes stressful situations
- A willingness to learn new procedures and processes
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.