VHB is seeking a Survey Crew Chief to join our Raleigh, NC office. VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, surveyors, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Direct the activities of a survey crew
- Maintain proper care of survey equipment and survey vehicles
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to outdoor elements
- Maintain documentation of all phases of survey work through clear field notes and data collection
- Supervises operation of manual and or robotic Total Station, GPS instruments and data collecting
- Perform public records research and use public records in execution of survey field work
- Boundary survey, Topographic survey, Construction survey, ALTA/NSPS survey, Engineering surveys, and As built/Post Construction survey
- Proficient in reading and understanding architectural and engineering drawings
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in operation of manual and Robotic Total Station with electronic data collecting capability
- Proficient in operation of GPS Instruments. Trimble and Survey Pro experience a plus.
- Experience with Civil 3D and or Microstation software a plus
- Proficient in field survey methods and techniques
- Ability to conduct tasks independently and to assign and review work of others
- Detail-oriented and able to think critically
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry
- Min. of three years progressive land surveying crew chief experience in leading and supervising field crews
- Associate degree in Land Surveying/Engineering or related field preferred, but not required
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D preferred, but not required
- Proficient in the Principles of Boundary Survey, Topographic, Construction/Utility Surveys and manual and electronic data collection
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screening
- Must be willing to travel for assignments outside local area
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.