VHB is seeking an experienced Survey Instrument Operator to work in the Raleigh, NC area. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and successfully pass background check, motor vehicle records check and drug screen.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, surveyors, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Perform various land surveying tasks under the direction of more senior Land Surveyors including; Operation, transport and setup of Total Stations (Manual and Robotic), Data Collectors, GPS, and other Land Surveying equipment.
- Reconnaissance and recovery of Land Surveying markers through use of hand tools, brush cutting, and digging.
- Ability to transport Land Surveying Equipment, navigate and traverse through difficult terrain, environments and wooded areas.
- Performs construction stakeout of proposed improvements, including the installation of stakes through use of sledgehammers and hand tools.
- Maintains proper care of all survey equipment.
- Requires valid Driver's license and ability to operate company vehicles, including large cargo vans.
- Documents all phases of survey work through clear field notes and data collection
- Land surveying including but not limited to Boundary line, Topographic survey, Construction stakeout, and utility surveys.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn the proper use of GPS equipment and Manual and or Robotic Instruments. Ability to learn mathematical concepts such as the fundamentals of geometry
- Understands the basics of Boundary Survey, Topographic, Construction, and Utility Surveys
- Able to think critically
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with survey staff and clients
- Must have a high school diploma, Associates degree preferred
- 0-2 years of prior progressive land surveying experience
- Must be detail oriented, willing to work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to outdoor elements and willing to travel
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screening
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.