NV5 (NASDAQ: NVEE) provides engineering and consulting services to public and private sectors, delivering solutions through five business verticals: Construction Quality Assurance, Infrastructure, Energy, Program Management, and Environmental. With offices nationwide and abroad, NV5 helps clients plan, design, build, test, certify, and operate projects that improve the communities where we live and work.As engineers, architects, construction/program managers, environmental professionals and beyond, we play a significant role in shaping our communities through the services we provide. We are looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our team focused on Delivering Solutions and Improving Lives.
NV5 is seeking a Survey/Civil CAD Technician in our Parsippany, NJ office. Looking for a talented, motivated, and technically driven Survey/Civil CAD Technician to work on government and private sector projects. This position assists Professional Land Surveyors by preparing deliverables including but not limited to: Boundary Surveys, Topographic Surveys, ALTA Surveys, ROW Surveys, Parcel Plats, Subdivision Plats, Control Surveys, Legal Descriptions and Exhibits, and reports. The successful candidate will possess the ability to prepare survey drawings in AutoCAD Civil 3d and understand and perform such survey computations as necessary to provide quality control of drawings prepared by the candidate as well as other similar drawings prepared by others, as assigned. Duties may also include compiling backup documentation, data reduction for survey submittals, and create related Excel spreadsheets to verify survey data. The position requires experience and knowledge associated with surveying/mapping and supporting the design of roadway, grading, drainage, utilities, and other related infrastructure projects. Excellent communication and organizational skills required.
- Work primarily in the office on drafting, research, field note reduction data analysis, and other related survey drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D, (Microstation, ArcGIS a plus), Leica Infinity, Starnet 9, and other related survey programs.
- Accurately operate, adjust and maintain survey measuring instruments including level, GPS equipment and total stations with electronic data collecting capabilities for field to finish operations
- Provide first draft review and edits after processing by the office survey technician.
- Perform mathematical and geometric calculations including closing and adjusting level loops and field traverses and has an understanding of atmospheric impacts on measurements
- Take accurate, complete and clear notes. Note reduction by recording survey measurements, descriptive data, drawings and sketches.
- Assist the Crew Chief by demonstrating logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Assist the party chief with the ability to consider relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose what is most appropriate.
- Daily administration duties including, but not limited to, downloading field notes and daily reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Prepare mapping and associated engineering plans for roadway, grading, drainage, utilities, and other related infrastructure projects.
- Work efficiently in an office environment with Surveyors and Engineers using AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Communicate effectively with surveying and engineering staff regarding field surveys, mapping, and plans for private and government projects.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with clients, sub-consultants, contractors, and other consultants on projects via email, phone, and at meetings.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- A high school education or equivalent is required including a background in math, geometry and trigonometry; an Associate degree in surveying and mapping is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years survey experience is required; a related degree in surveying and mapping may be substituted for a portion of practical experience.
- Must be experienced in controlling the function of surveying instruments and field calculators.
- Must have knowledge of boundary evidence search for property corners and other lines of public and private ownership.
- Must be able to read and understand plans and specifications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic sources of measurement errors and must have knowledge to perform analysis of survey data to ensure completeness, accuracy and precision.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principals of construction staking and field markings for roads, bridges, buildings and infrastructure.
- Possess good interpersonal skills, and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to determine the right tools and equipment to perform the job effectively.
- Ability to determining causes of operation errors and assist the party chief
- Ability to download field data into the project downloads directory on the company network drive.
- Must be able and willing to travel.
- Attendance, punctuality and reliability are essential requirements.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather.
- Must have a current NJ Driver’s License; must be able to meet company insurability guidelines.
- Proficient knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Knowledge of MicroStation and InRoads a plus.
NV5 offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, PTO, 401(k) and professional development/advancement opportunities.NV5 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NV5 complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.