This is a Global Hospitality Company, headquartered in Tokyo.
THE RIGHT CANDIDATE FOR THIS EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY WILL BE WORKING IN ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC OMAKASE RESTAURANTS IN MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA. Relocation package offered.
This candidate must have Edomae style Omakase Sushi experience.
The Head Sushi Chef will be able to exhibit passion for excellence, culinary vision, understanding of quality food ingredients, interest in Sushi and Japanese culinary culture.
The Head Sushi Chef will ensure that the quality of food and service is the best of the best during their shift and ensure a seamless transition throughout the day. Mise en place, ordering, butchering, inventory and working in the line will be an integral part of the daily tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establish goals for the kitchen/restaurant, anticipate and resolve relevant problems, anticipate trends, and enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities.
- Develop menus & create and ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications. Train kitchen staff on all new menus.
- Comply with Standards of Service and assist in assuring the same from all kitchen employees.
- Manage a day-to-day operation, coordinate food production schedules and ensure highest level of food quality, taste and presentation.
- Participate in actual food preparation, produce food consistently high quality, taste and presentation and expedite during peak meal periods as needed.
- Control food cost by assisting in training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling, and by training kitchen and restaurant employees on how to handle leftover food items to meet the financial targets while achieving the food quality and service objectives.
- Ensures that employees consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
- Maintain effective communication within the kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns, and work to resolve problems.
- Maintain effective working relationship with food & beverage management and other departments.
- Work with the Executive Chef to ensure that necessary food items and supplies are ordered in a timely manner.
- Operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers and promptly act to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
- Ensure strict adherence to health department and food handling guidelines.
- To immediately report all suspicious occurrence and hazardous conditions.
- To follow all company/kitchen safety rules, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Job description may be changed at any time.
- Five (5) years of experience as Sushi Chef
- Advanced understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Able to speak, read, write, and understand the English language
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Knowledge of health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of kitchen operations and production.
- Five (5) years of experience in a similar position at a Omakase Sushi restaurant
- Certification of Culinary training or apprenticeship.
- Understanding/Knowledge of the budgeting and forecasting process.
- Previously worked with multi-unit operations from fine dining to casual.
- Experience of expanding and condensing recipes.
- Thorough knowledge of Japanese cuisine technique.
- Knowledge of food cost controls.
- Strong guest service orientation and commitment to quality service.
- Excellent communication skills (verbally interacts with management, servers, team members and guests.)
- Possess excellent knife skills and be able to operate kitchen equipment.
- Ability to work in a team environment exercising adequate leadership.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
- Effectively motivate associates and to maintain cohesive teams.
- Ability to take initiative and get creative in resolving challenges and involve management members when previous methods have been unsuccessful.
- General computer skills including but not limited to email, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, etc
- Be able to work with and understand financial information, data and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to speak and hear, vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Constant standing with some walking.
- Be able to work in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 50 pounds.
- Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Generally, in an indoor setting.
- Work is performed in the kitchen area with exposure to heat, cold, fumes, and steam.
- Will be using a computer occasionally.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays and extended hours as business dictates.
- The work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays.
Employment Type: Full Time
Years Experience: 3 - 5 years