General Purpose of the Job
Assist the management and culinary staff in prepping and producing the food.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Wash, peel and/or cut various foods to prepare for cooking or serving
- Receive and store food supplies
- Inform supervisor when supplies are getting low or equipment is not working properly
- Learn how to and produce menu items on a daily production sheet
- Follow and produce recipes supplied by A Joy Wallace Catering
- Butcher, clean, cut, slice and/or grind fowl, fish, poultry and shellfish to be used in recipes
- Maintain highest levels of cleanliness and sanitation at all times, following government strict guidelines
- Highlight and label finished product with the name of the event, the item and the date. Store in the appropriate rack
- Date and wrap all opened food
- Other duties as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Food Safety Handlers Certificate
Other Skills and Abilities
- Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish)
- Manual dexterity in knife skills
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Able to follow recipes
- Patience to accept & process criticism from clients & managers
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.