Summary:The Sustaining Engineer is the primary technical resource and is responsible for the interface between Product Engineering and the Manufacturing team. The primary function of this position is to facilitate DFM (design for manufacturing) into new products, including improvements to existing products to improve the manufacturability and performance of the product. Will work closely with PLMs, Vice Presidents, General Managers, Plant Managers, Product Engineering Manager, Project Manager, CI Manager and Manufacturing Managers to carry out a variety of project work. This position will be responsible for leading problem solving activities, guiding technical vision, driving requirements, estimating, scheduling, deploying field trials in production, communicating to stakeholders and implementing, maintaining, and continuously improving processes to coordinate the execution of work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- This position requires training and supervision by the Sustaining Engineering Manager.
- Value Analysis Value Engineering (VAVE), DFMA,
- Review drawings and Product Change Requests (ECN/ECO) for accuracy.
- Support field trials by building, testing and troubleshooting product.
- Perform testing, validation and reliability analysis to minimize risk and achieve a high level of quality assurance.
- Responsible for problem solving activities.
- Defines clear product and solution specifications.
- Analyzes risk areas of designs, plans implantation of product and publishes assessments to stakeholders.
- Plans design execution and schedules, while communicating with stakeholders for feedback and ensuring on-time delivery of agreed to milestones and deliverables.
- Critically reviews design decisions with key assumptions tested as early as possible. Review with plant stakeholders.
- Understands the role of other personnel and provides project support as appropriate.
- Understands the design and engineering process as well as the manufacturing processes.
- Communicates to senior management assessed risk and status of projects.
- Participates in process improvements and contributes to and supports team objectives.
- Maintains positive relationships with other functional teams within the organization. Work with and communicate to professionals at all levels of the organization.
- Provides new product ideas to engineering.
- Understanding of design/system integration to identify where the company can provide solutions.
- Strong ability to read, understand blue prints and be able to use them to troubleshoot and identify issues.
- Manage design projects with a high level of complexity.
- Apply engineering background to develop unique solutions to problems.
- Lead design reviews.
- Identify and specify the requirements of product development projects on a per project basis and work through the group to fulfill those requirements.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Communicate with suppliers as required.
- Creates mechanical/architectural drawings with a high level of complexity by reviewing models, sketches, descriptions, specifications, and supporting documents; conferring with Product Engineers. The finished product must be a professional drawing package.
- Prepares complex mechanical/architectural sketches and drawings by rendering sectional, auxiliary, and multi-views, sub-assemblies, pictorials, dimensions, and developments; producing two- and three-dimensional orthographic projections using computer aided design (CAD) and pictorial techniques; producing three-dimensional (3-D) models.
- Utilize the drawing number system within drawing library/storage system.
- Modifies drawings by analyzing, resolving, and incorporating changes.
- Maintain the project information within drawing library/storage system.
a. Project time estimates
b. Notes calculations e-mail
c. Product Drawings
d. Cut Sheets photocopies from suppliers catalogs with highlighted parts
e. Purchase Orders
f. Drawings 11x17 prints
g. Red Lines
- Perform preliminary drawing check before the drawing is submitted to Checker or Senior Product Engineer.
- Performs preliminary bill of material check.
- Generate/check bill of materials for the Data Department.
- Checks drawings/work done by other designers and Product Engineer.
- Update red lines if required
- Communicate work load with Manager.
- Build and test prototypes.
- Maintain a sense of urgency/responsibility on a daily basis with all projects and communicate this to Designers and Product Engineers.
- Ensure product designs are manufacturing friendly.
- Review designs with plant personnel.
- Evaluates materials and makes recommendations.
- Keep abreast of changes in the industry, materials and process technologies.
- Work with VP and PMs to ensure that Product Engineering is meeting their needs.
- Education: BS in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering (or equivalent experience).
- CAD and Drafting Skills, AutoCAD, Inventor, 3D modeling, GD&T principles.
- Understanding and application of tolerance and datum s and how to apply them.
- Microsoft office (Word, Excel).
- Experience: 3 plus years.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Requires little supervision and training by Product Engineering Manager.
- Interfaces with outside suppliers.
- Maintain a professional drawing system.
- Proven track record for on time and complete.
- 20-40% travel is anticipated.
Key Measurements/Points of Evaluation:
- Performance evaluations will be administered in accordance with JELD-WEN Policies and Procedures.
- Completes project within the estimated design hours as set forth by the Manager.
- Drawing errors caught in the drawing check/approval process.
- Red line drawing feedback.
- Complexity of work.
- Performance with respect to the duties and responsibilities.
- Work Ethic
- Ability to work with others.
- Accepts change positively and helps others adapt to change.
- Follows JELD-WEN policies and procedures.
- On time and complete
- Positive attitude
- Exemplify the JELD-WEN/R&D mission statement.
- Create a teamwork environment.
- Develop a project team.
- Mentor team members.
JELD-WEN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. To ensure the safety and health of our employees, JELD-WEN maintains a drug-free work environment.