Perform in-depth and advance repairs and troubleshooting on the mechanical and electrical aspect of electrical power generation.
- Job specific technician must be able to logically evaluate the job given to them in a timely, efficient manner.
- Technician must be able to interpret schematics on job sites and in manuals for jobs that they are assigned to. Be able to use mathematical formulas as a part of troubleshooting.
- Technician must maintain a consistent 85% productivity rate.
- Daily service report writing and time entry is a must in this position.
- Must have a good understanding of how to work with a project file dealing with software programs, data files, parameters, addressing of symbols, etc.
- Must be proficient in identifying components in system which include but are not limited to modular system, processors, power supplies, I/O modules and communications modules.
- Monitoring systems must be familiar with various monitoring systems including communication options, Modbus, upload/download files and parameters. Must be able to interpret information accordingly.
- Must be at a skill level to comprehend logic of UPS systems and obtain the needed training for the products.
- Technician must be able to fully understand PLC logic and must be able to perform complete PLC programming on various types of PLC and programming software.
- Technician must be able to effectively communicate with internal and external personnel and customers in written and verbal formats. Must be able to train end users on operation of equipment.
- Must be able to modify or fabricate product in order to meet job specific requirements.
- Technician must be aware and conscious of all safety factors revolving around circuits at high power levels. Must adhere to all company safety policies (i.e. EPG safety work policy and other GPEC safety policies). Failure to do so can effect employment status.
- Technician will be expected to be able to be on emergency call at their normal rotation along with the other switchgear/ups specialist for at least 7 days at a time. They must be accessible when needed except during regularly scheduled vacation, personnel business time off either by phone or pager.
Must be a high school graduate with the below work experience. A technical college graduate in diesel or electrical technology can offset the below work experiences by 2 years.
Must have a minimum of 5 years direct experience switchgear, UPS and Automatic Transfer Switches.
Must have certification of succesful completion of PLC operation and programming classes from an accredited training institution.
Must be a "top level" GPEC EPG Master Technician performer for at least 3 years.
Must have certification of successful completion of PLC operation and programming classes from an accredited training institution.
Must be able to routinely and physically lift/position various parts to perform repairs/service and manually handle parts up to 137 pounds, as well as use mechanical hoist for heavier parts.
Possess or immediately obtains related mechanical/electrical hand tools that meet required company standard. Will work remotely with rare trips to dispatching office. Must be able to effectively write repair activities on customer work orders. Must have cognitive reasoning and problem solving skills to apply knowledge, written information and verbal instructions in repairing/servicing unusual and/or unknown technical equipment operational problems. Can work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to interface with customers (both internal & external) effectively and courteously. Technician must be safety conscience and comfortable with live circuits at very high power levels. Must be able to respond to customers EPG emergency needs during man-made or natural occurrences.
Must be able to drive a company vehicle daily and to be able to periodically take overnight business trips as requested.Must be proficient in advance technical computer based software applications such as Zenith, Allen-Bradley, GE FANUC, etc.
Must have advanced basic PC skills preferably with MS Office, Word and Outlook Scheduler.
Must be able to respond to customers EPG emergency needs during man-made or natural occurrences.
Field Activity- Must be able to daily operate a service vehicle and drive for extended periods to reach customer's locations. Conduct all business and social activities in a manner which reflects integrity and professional excellence.
Additional: Field activities require a valid state drivers license (obtain within 30 days of hire a valid license within the state of GPEC's operation) AND posses a safe driving record, as outlined in our GPEC Motor Vehicle Policy. Some vehicles may require having or obtaining a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
Additional Prerequisites for Position:
A candidate must:
Be well versed in the electrical and mechanical aspect of electrical power generation.
Being familiar with the diesel and gasoline / LP gas engines is a must.
Process in-depth, advanced understanding and troubleshooting skills in the following systems:
Lubrication, cooling, fuel systems (mechanical and electronic)
Generators operations and applications (permanent magnet and self excited
Generator monitoring and other associated remote controls and instrumentation
Engine controls (Caterpillar and other OEMs)
KVAR and power factor controls
Governors (mechanical and electronic)
Un-interruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
Battery charging systems
Battery and induction flywheel power sources and all controls associated with voltage regulation and power conditioning
Instrumentation and other associated electrical devices
Voltage regulation and power conditioning
Surge Suppression Equipment
Load Bank installation and operation
Industrial Communications Protocols
Electrical Safety, Lock Out-Tag Out Procedures
PLC based industrial controls and programming
Individual should be well versed in the electrical aspect of power generation regardless of the type of gear being worked on. Individual must have knowledge of Dual Source Paralleling, PLC's, Electronic Engine Governors, Remote Monitoring Systems, Industrial Controls and other Power Distribution equipment.
Additionally the individual should be proficient with various types of electronic test equipment such as Oscilloscopes, Digital Voltage Meters, Phasing Indication Meters, Harmonic Distortion Meters and Load Banks. Individual must possess above average comprehension of electronic diagrams; schematics and ladder logic charts with the addition of algebra level math skills.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Your supervisor may request and assign you similar duties. Any major modification of this job role requires Human Resources approval.
Gregory Poole Equipment Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.