The Systems Engineer (Cloud Operations) performs technology duties associated with cloud computing, including design, planning, management, maintenance and support. This role is responsible to support a growing cloud infrastructure and applications environment including, assisting with application administration, deployments, scaling and troubleshooting microservice based applications and cloud infrastructure. Position involves operational response to production issues and driving them to resolution. This individual works closely with and provides support to Global IT team members and their clients. Responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with vendors and others throughout the organization and able to thrive in the ever-changing work environment.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Participate in the design and development process from definition to deployment.
- Plan, Architect, Deploy and Manage our cloud infrastructure and applications
- Work with software developers to design applications that run efficiently on the cloud
- System troubleshooting and problem-solving across platform and application domains - will be expected to participate in on-call escalations to troubleshoot customer facing issues.
- Develop and enhance SaaS/PaaS/IaaS cloud-based applications.
- Work with local/remote development teams to support the delivery, deployment, and operation of services.
- Automate / Develop / enhance SaaS/Azure cloud-based operations.
- Proactive development of monitoring solutions for supported applications.
- Proactive identification and reactive troubleshooting of issues that arise with the application and escalate to applications teams when necessary.
- Participate in code and feature reviews through the lifecycle of a development project.
- Ensures that security standards, practices, and policies are incorporated into all application releases.
- Needs to be highly available and on-call for production outages.
- Perform active monitoring of application services, custom plugins/checks where required restore or recover from application service events and/or failures.
- Drive automation to reduce failures, manual tasks and therefore improving overall application performance, stability, and availability.
- 8+ yrs. Systems Engineer/Operations
- Minimum 1 yr. Azure operations experience
- Experience supporting an environment running Azure
- Hands-on experience in Azure PowerShell automation and ARM
- Cloud patching, security updates, and vulnerabilities remediation
- Understanding of Azure networking and security.
- Experience with Azure monitoring and alerting services such as Azure Portal, Monitor, Resource Health, Event Hubs, etc..
- Hands-on experience with Azure IAAS & PAAS (compute, networking, storage, load-balancer, backup, NSG etc.., and cloud management platform technologies
- Hands-on experience Azure SQL, RBAC, key vault, log analytics, storage/backup, and application service environments.
- Ability to document and conduct knowledge transfer to internal staff
- Solid project management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Self-starter requiring minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities and requirements.
- Experience with standard change management and configuration policies
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience from an accredited college/university
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in Azure Back Up and Recovery modules
- Experience in extending Active Directory Domain Services to Azure
- Experience in Cloud Backup/Disaster Recovery methods and implementation
- Experience in designing and configuring Express Route
- ITIL Certification
- Azure Certifications
- Occasional global travel required supporting corporate offices.
- Occasional weekend maintenance
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Free Food and Coffee
- Gym Memberships
- Long Term Disability
- Employee Events
- Employee Referral Program
- Professional Development
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Merchandise Discounts
- Mobile Phone Discount
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Performance bonus
- Prescription Drug Coverage