We are looking for an inquisitive, highly self-motivated individual who is eager to learn and has good attention to detail and time management skills. This position is responsible for analysis, modeling and design of the torque control, power management, and thermal management for the powerpack (motor plus control module plus software) in electronic steering systems. This position allows the candidate to see the full lifecycle of the project – from requirements to design, testing, implementation and production. The ideal candidate will have experience with motor control systems, embedded systems, signals, and software.
- Understands and creates system and subsystem specifications.
- Develops systems from concept through application.
- Designs and optimizes simultaneous system performance goals through requirements flow down.
- Responsible for motor control system analysis, modeling, and design of motor control systems for electronic steering systems.
- Responsible for development and core design of system power management as it relates to powerpack power efficiency.
- Responsible for development of analysis methods and strategies for thermal protection of the electronic steering system.
- System Architecture Development for Torque Control, Power Management, and Thermal Management for electronic steering systems.
- Provides technical leadership for projects incorporating complex electromechanical (“Mechatronic”) systems.
- Effectively integrates all aspects of a design through the use of multi-disciplinary engineering.
- Develops test equipment and methodologies for torque/motor control, power management, and thermal management functions.
- Support technology development, innovation, efficiency and process improvement activities.
- Develops core processes and procedures to support efficient project execution.
- Stays abreast of new technology by attending conferences, company supported training, and education.
- 2+ Years of experience in motor control systems and drives, control systems, or Systems Engineering
- Cumulative GPA 2.7 (minimum).
- Experience with design and analysis of motor control systems, sensing subsystems, and power electronics.
- Knowledge of electric machine types commonly used in electric power steering such as brushless PMSM and DC brush.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, specifically Excel), and knowledge of simulation tools (Matlab/Simulink).
- General competency in all core fields (electronics, electromagnetics, computer hardware and software).
- Demonstrated structured problem-solving techniques.
- Knowledge of system synthesis, analysis and verification techniques.
- Good organization and documentation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others.
- Must be able to view a computer screen or monitor for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Experience with System Requirements Development and System Architecture Development.
- Background in automotive engineering and chassis systems (steering, braking, suspension).
- Experience in project management of large, complex projects.
BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Physics with emphasis on electromagnetics, electric machines, sensing systems, embedded systems or control systems.
MS in either Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with emphasis in motor control systems and drives, control systems, or Systems Engineering.
Equal Opportunity Employer Disabled/Minorities/Veterans/Women
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Nexteer is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employees to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
Accessibility for Applicants with Disabilities: If you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability please call 1-989-757-5000. Please provide your contact information and details about the posted position of interest. Only inquiries regarding assistance for those who need an accommodation with the online application process due to a disability will be returned.