Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
This is a Temporary, Full-Time position for up to 6 months.
Under semi-direct supervision, as scheduled, performs the following Step 1 duties:
- Operate and maintain equipment necessary to successfully perform assigned tasks; equipment includes, but is not limited to, small hand tools, dollies, carts, lift gates, man lifts, pressure sprayers, fork trucks, vehicles, weedwackers, snow blowers, bobcats, lawn mowers and farm tractor.
- Performs manual duties, such as flagging, pole numbering, digging holes,rigging, insulator cleaning, loading, unloading, lifting and moving heavy materials, supplying workmen with tools and material, and similar manual tasks.
- Drive a truck and/or equipment to and from job locations, transporting employees, equipment, supplies and materials, as directed.
- Performs minor servicing and repair work on truck and equipment.
- Checks material carried in the truck and notifies supervisor of material requirements. Arranges and stores material in an orderly manner.
- Sweeps, scrubs, waxes, and cleans floors in Company facilities.
- Washes and cleans windows, toilet facilities, and performs similar cleaning and miscellaneous painting jobs.
- Operates power driven cleaning equipment, as required.
- Collects and disposes of rubbish.
- Mows lawns, performs general landscaping, gathers and disposes of debris accumulated at Company facilities.
- Keeps sidewalks, parking lots and pavements cleaned of snow, dirt and ice.
- Replaces burned out light bulbs.
- Performs data entry and other work as required or assigned.
Step 4 Special Duties:
- Operates “state-of-the-art” equipment to inspect and test poles.
- Uses tools, materials and techniques necessary to reinforce identified deteriorated poles.
- Patrols facilities on foot, or by vehicle, inspects rights-of-way, posts circuit identification and hazard warning signs. Inspects poles, crossarms, and other distribution installations and equipment, being alert for, recognizing, and promptly reporting hazardous, faulty, or unwarranted conditions.
- Reports any situations that may affect the continuity of service, including damaged insulators, slack line conductors, crossed secondary lines, worn insulation, faulty or deteriorated poles, tree interference, damaged or faulty meters, defective brackets, and similar items.
- Generates reports either manually or through “state-of-the-art” equipment, and provides rough pencil sketches as required.
- Reports cases where accessibility to Company right-of-way is obstructed.
- Performs other work as required or as assigned.
Must possess a high school education or equivalent.
Must have a basic understanding of transmission, distribution, substations and metering equipment.
Must have a valid PA driver’s license.
Must have the physical ability to lift and carry materials, supplies, trash, and equipmentup to 50 pounds within OSHA lifting guides and be physically able to withstand rigors of weather and terrain. This will include navigating on foot while carrying necessary equipment.
Must be able to use computer to record test results.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.