While reporting to the Federal Tax Manager, as the Tax Analyst, you will be primarily responsible for U.S. federal income tax compliance and assist with ASC 740. You will work closely with various members from within and outside the tax department, and may assist with cross functional ad hoc projects as needed.
You are a highly motivated and energetic individual with strong tax compliance skills, and can think and adapt quickly.
Your job duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Primary duty is to assist with the preparation of the federal income tax return. May also include some assistance with preparation of state and local income tax filings.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and workpapers for all projects completed to support the tax filings, including documenting procedures for tasks completed where required.
- Prepare workpapers and schedules for quarterly and annual tax calculations, account roll forwards, and general tax compliance with changing accounting standards.
- Research and prepare memoranda and other documentation regarding tax issues, changing tax regulations, and accounting standards.
- Prepare responses to Information Document Requests (IDR’s) from federal taxing authorities.
- Support Sonoco teams outside of the tax area as needed to provide support and tax knowledge.
- Provide support and assistance to other areas of the tax department with tax compliance as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position is in a perfect location at our global headquarters in Hartsville, SC and close to exciting destinations (Myrtle Beach, SC; Charleston, SC; Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC).
- At least 2 years of directly related corporate tax compliance and provision experience in public accounting and/or a multinational company, primarily experience with large, complex, multinational U.S. income tax filings.
- Detailed oriented with excellent analytic and problem solving skills.
- Strong analytical thinking, writing, and communications skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor degree in accounting or taxation; MST/CPA preferred.
- Experience with CorpTax compliance software preferred.
This is a progression experience and level will be based on candidate experience and business needs.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.