H&R Block, the world’s leader in tax preparation services, is looking for a Tax Research Analyst. This position is located at our corporate headquarters, in the premier downtown Power & Light District of Kansas City, where everything is either steps or a streetcar ride away. Our office offers an onsite fitness gym and coffee shop, an awesome company cafeteria, free parking, and frequent opportunities to get discounted or free tickets to a variety of entertainment venues and shows.
In this role you will perform independent research, analysis, and planning on complex federal and state tax issues, conduct research project team activities to identify and resolve tax related issues; ensures adherence to research standards.
You will also research, analyze, evaluate and document analysis related to federal and state tax issues regarding proposed, passed or expiring tax law, and creates written documentation of key federal and state tax issues for use across organization.
What you’ll do…
- Researches, analyzes, and evaluates current developments on federal and state tax issues preparing documentation and analysis for use by internal departments and external tax practitioners.
- Researches, analyzes, and evaluates current year tax forms to identify and document tax changes that impact forms supported in H&R Block’s tax software products.
- Participates in the day-to-day activities of a tax research project team to identify and resolve tax related issues; ensures adherence to research standards.
- Evaluates tax questions received by mail, telephone and other electronic sources to ascertain exact nature of the issue, researches applicable tax law and regulations, makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment.
- Performs independent research, and analysis on federal and state tax and financial issues. Interprets situation, draws conclusions, identifies fundamental tax points, researches and interprets tax code, regulations, case law, and makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment for the situation.
- Monitors and analyzes new tax developments to determine effects. Develops written analysis of new tax law, rulings, case law, and regulations for dissemination to field associates and the general public.
- Ensures all SLAs are met.
- Provides regular status reporting on legislative changes identified.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of one-year experience in tax preparation and/or tax research.
- Operational knowledge of tax law and regulations sufficient to understand and explain elements of personal, corporate, partnership, fiduciary, estate, gift, and international taxation.
- Knowledge of tax research principles, procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively research complex tax issues and effectively communicate findings.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and correctly formulate solutions to highly complex tax situations.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain complex tax situations.
- Effective project management skills to complete assignments on time and within budget.
- Coordinates research responsibilities of specialized teams of Tax Research Analysts.
- Facilitates tax specialty training of Tax Research Analysts
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.