Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
The Tax Supervisor role has a wide range of responsibilities with respect to federal, state and local tax accounting, compliance, audits and research. The Tax Supervisor is also responsible for leading, developing and supervising internal staff. The position reports to the Director, Tax.
- Support the interim and annual income tax accounting process to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include preparing, reviewing, and documenting supporting calculations and income tax accounting positions as well as executing internal review controls.
- Support the income tax compliance function to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include preparing and reviewing Federal and state income tax calculations, income tax returns, extensions and estimated tax payments, as well as researching and documenting income tax positions. Responsibilities also include responding to notices from taxing authorities.
- Support the taxes other than income tax (TOTI) compliance function to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include reviewing sales and use, gross receipts, and other non-income tax returns, payment and extension calculations. Responsibilities also include responding to notices from taxing authorities.
- Support the regulatory filing and forecasting process to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include preparing and reviewing cash tax forecasts, tax projections as well as scenario modeling.
- Analyze and interpret changes to federal and state tax laws as well as communicate financial impact of changes. Assist in controversy matters with governmental agencies including but not limited to the Internal Revenue Service, regulatory agencies, and other state taxing authorities.
- Independently research and conclude on various complex tax issues to determine the appropriate tax treatment and related reporting. Research includes preparing written memorandums for review and technical presentations to Finance leadership.
- Mentor and develop staff including providing feedback and direction on assignments and projects with a focus on the Company’s core competencies.
- Proactively identify, drive, and implement process improvements that promote risk management and streamline activities. Participate and support special projects.
1. Other duties as assigned.
Roles at this level require relevant specific experience. Roles at this level typically require a university / college degree. With 5 years of relevant experience. In an operations or production environment typically has 0 years of previous managerial experience.
- Undergraduate Accounting or other financial discipline
- 5-8 years or more of professional tax experience focusing on domestic consolidated corporations, including a combination of industry and/or public accounting
- Certified Public Accountant and/or advanced degree preferred
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- ASC 740 tax accounting experience
- Proficient in Excel. Experience with PowerTax provision, and One Source tax prep software is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of all major areas of federal and state tax law
- Proficient analytical ability to resolve complex, technical issues
- Excellent communication skills (both written & oral) and interpersonal skills to effectively deal with other team members and different departments
- Proficient in leading and managing others within a corporate tax department
- Attention to detail and strong hands-on skills
- Utility industry experience is a plus, but not required
Typically the front line supervisor to union staff or support track staff. May manage a small group both staff and professional employees in a narrow focus area typically no more than 15 direct reports and typically used as first entry into leadership for employees without prior leadership experience.
Primary focus is on day to day management of operational execution for areas managed. Trains and develops staff. Plans the work flow. Directs available resources to accomplish process improvement. Leads work flow changes and implementations for direct team.
Problems and issues are undefined require detailed info gathering, analysis, and investigation to understand/resolve. Makes decisions that address work flow issues considering immediate impact on own function or work unit.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.