This posting creates a pool of candidates for future positions that may become available.
Teacher-Career and Technology Education
Curriculum and Instruction
Reports To (title only)
Current as of
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Provides for instruction of students by developing, selecting, and modifying instructional plans and materials and presenting them using instructional techniques which meet the needs of all students. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of students. Supervises students in a variety of school-related settings and activities. Monitors and evaluates student performance. Develops and implements instructional plans to improve student performance. Maintains required records and follows required procedures and practices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Establishes clear goals and objectives. Plans and prepares lessons, assignments, and instructional materials.
2. Provides instruction that includes but is not limited to: preventative maintenance, repair, and installation.
3. Evaluates student progress using appropriate assessment techniques. Prepares, administers and corrects evaluations and assessments, and records results.
4. Works to ensure the development of quality workmanship, and good work habits.
5. Selects and uses appropriate instructional strategies including, but not limited to, lectures, group discussions, demonstrations, modeling and multi-media teaching aids to present subject matter to students.
6. Maintains order and discipline in the classroom conducive to effective learning and takes all necessary safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
7. Creates a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
8. Counsels’ pupils when academic and adjustment problems arise.
9. Confers with parents and students regarding progress/problems of assigned students; arranges and participates in teacher-parent or teacher-student conferences as necessary.
10. May serve on special committees.
11. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, textbooks, materials and facilities.
12. Maintains accurate and complete records as required by law, Board Policy and Administrative Regulation.
13. Attends and actively participates in staff/faculty meetings and provides input regarding the planning of instructional goals, objectives and methods.
14. Improves skill and knowledge base in current trends, research and methodology in instructional techniques, technology, multicultural content, problem solving and interdisciplinary connections.
15. Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for instructional assistants, teacher assistants, and volunteers
16. Recruits educators, business/clinical partners and post-secondary representatives for a Program Advisory Committee (PAC)
17. Hosts annual PAC meeting to collaborate and sustain industry standards.
18. Conducts quarterly business partner site visits.
19. Assists with the development of post-secondary opportunities such as proficiency credits, internships, and industry recognized certifications.
20. Responsible for teaching Career Exploration as an extended day program when needed.
21. Supports the student organization of SkillsUSA.
22. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
· Hold or be eligible for a Maryland State Board of Education professional teaching certificate appropriate to area of assignment.
· Must hold a valid Maryland Master Barber License.
· Years of trade experience or a combination of college courses/degree and documented full-time trade experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of school organization, goals and objectives, curriculum, teaching techniques, current trends, research and materials of instruction in field of specialization, and an understanding of the teaching/learning process.
· Ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education.
· Ability to infuse technology into curriculum.
· Ability to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office and school board staff, students, parents and community. Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
· Ability to demonstrate techniques necessary to instruct students in area of assignment.
· Required to attend school meetings, programs and activities outside the instructional day as necessary.
· Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse populations and communities.
· Ability to develop outreach strategies to encourage parental involvement in student learning.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively and engage diverse parents/ guardians with varied communication styles, levels of skill and experience to support their child’s education experience.
· Ability to employ a variety of teaching styles to respond to the needs of diverse learners.
· Ability for independent mobility throughout the school building/facility.
· Demonstrated proficiency with business software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite-Word, Excel, Outlook and/or PowerPoint preferred).
· Must hold a valid Maryland Master Barber License
Career Ladder Requirements
· Ability to perform extensive walking, stooping, pushing, carrying, bending and lifting of up to 50 pounds independently.
· Ability to demonstrate physical techniques necessary to instruct student in the area of assignment.
· Ability to exert force required to twist/turn equipment/tools required to perform assigned tasks.
· The area of assignment involves sustained physical effort and some exposure to dust, dirt and chemical solution.