Summary of Position:
The Normandy Classroom Teacher must support the cognitive ability for the student to improve developing knowledge as they grow. The Classroom Teacher is the one who plans for and guides the learning process to help students achieve objectives required within the yearly studies. The Classroom Teacher must maintain a classroom atmosphere that is conducive to learning giving the students every opportunity to improve their cognitive capabilities. The Teacher will also demonstrate the necessary behaviors that support Normandy Schools Collaborative Five Pillars (Professionalism, Accountability, Collaboration, Trust, Respect).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet regular and predictable attendance requirements in accordance with district policy.
- Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
- Implement useful diagnostic and progress assessment measures that can help determine how each student is improving
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual differences.
- Prepare for classes assigned and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Encourage students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these objectives to the students.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided, and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strive to implement, by instruction and action, the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assess the accomplishments of the students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Diagnose the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis and seek the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
- Assist the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct. Develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior. Maintain order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Make provisions for being available to the students and to the parents for education-related purposes outside of the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, evaluate their job performance.
- Maintain and improve professional competence.
- Participate in district staff development.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students, parents, and community members.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience teaching in urban school environment is a plus.
- Missouri Teacher Certification appropriate for level and/or subject area of assignment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and use fingers, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and depth perception. Occasionally the employee will lift up to 50 lbs. such as to lift files and paper.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The employee continuously is interacting with the public and staff.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.