JOB DESCRIPTION FOR Teacher REPORTS TO:
Principal, Assistant Principal, Central Office Worksite: American International Academy QUALIFICATIONS:
I. Minimum Bachelor's Degree with valid Michigan Teachers Certificate.
NATURE OF POSITION:
- Ability to teach and develop curriculum for assigned grade.
- Possess applicable endorsements as required by MDE.
- Maintain highly qualified status as required by NCLB Act.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Implementation and coordination of instructional programs to ensure that all students meet and exceed the State Core Curriculum Content Standards; Achieving excellence requires that Teachers work collaboratively and communicate effectively with students, parents, members of the community and colleagues in other districts and schools; Inherent to the position are the responsibilities for planning, coordination and monitoring the effective delivery of the established curriculum to students. RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION:
The Teacher is responsible for: Instructional Process
- Planning and implementing a program of instruction that adheres to the district philosophy, goals and objectives as outlined in the adopted course study.
- Creating a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies including, but not limited to project-based learning.
- Using engaging, creative, and appropriate assignments and resources to help students make connections with learning outside the educational environment.
- Effectively utilizing and integrating a variety of technology into daily instruction with students.
- Making purposeful and appropriate lesson plans that provide for effective teaching strategies and maximize time on task.
- Planning and implementing a program of study designed to meet individual needs of students.
- Encouraging student enthusiasm for the learning process and the development of good study habits.
- Consistently collaborating with staff and facilitating an interdisciplinary curriculum to establish a deeper meaning of content for students.
- Preparing substitute folder containing appropriate information as required by the School Leaders.
- Planning and prescribing purposeful assignments for tutors and volunteers as needed.
- Recognizing challenges with learning and making referrals as appropriate.
- Demonstrating strong knowledge of subject matter taught.
- Providing progress and interim reports to parents, staff, and other appropriate parties as required.
- Maintaining students' grades, assignments and attendance utilizing applicable software applications.
- Performing other related job duties as designated by the School Leaders.
- Keeping current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory; Willing to share this knowledge for continual improvement of the school's curriculum.
- Providing feedback and assisting in the ongoing curriculum revision process, including the revision of written courses of study.
- Becoming acquainted with, and utilizing appropriate supplemental services beneficial to students as an extension of regular classroom activities.
1. Evaluating accomplishments of students on a regular basis using multiple assessment methods, such as teacher made tests, samples of students' work, mastery skills check lists, criterion-referenced tests and norm-referenced tests.
- Making appropriate adjustments in the instructional program and as required by the School Principal.
- Respecting the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics, state and federal laws.
- Developing, in accordance with district and school guidelines, reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate techniques that are consistently applied.
- Taking necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Sharing responsibility during the school day for the supervision of students in all areas of the school.
- Providing for the supervision of assigned students when circumstances require a brief absence from the assignment.
1. Continuing professional growth through attendance at workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Cooperating with the administration in planning appropriate in-service training programs at a school or at the district level.
- Attending and participating in staff, department, and committee meetings as required.
Position requires frequent standing and walking throughout building and school grounds; Ability to stoop, crouch, kneel and bend occasionally; Occasionally lifts and carries materials or items weighing up to 20 pounds; Ability to use senses - sight, hearing, smell and touch; Ability to type; Uses hand/eye coordination for typing and data entry. OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Satisfactory criminal background check. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Students OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to apply knowledge of current research filled theory with specific job duties and area of
- Must have strong communication, interpersonal and computer skills.
- Experience and demonstrate knowledge and use of PC/Windows and web-based applications and software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications required.
- Must have ability to learn and utilize new software programs as systems are upgraded.
- Typing/keyboarding required with good grammatical spelling filled punctuation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, students, staff, Board, vendors and the community.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form.
Ability to perform duties, maintaining current knowledge of all district requirements and applicable regulatory standards.