The Teachers’ Assistant is responsible for creating a safe and caring atmosphere for the program. The Teachers’ Assistant aides in the monitoring and supervision of the students and assists within the classrooms as requested.
- Work with small groups or selected individuals to assist with lessons.
- Monitor and when necessary, document student behavior.
- Assist teaching staff in the preparation of lessons, materials, and equipment.
- Assist as needed in the searching, transportation, and supervision of students.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Ability to work with a challenging student population.
- Must model appropriate behavior.
- Comply with SWKey and program policies and procedures.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Cover classrooms and groups as needed.
- Assist with training, duplication of materials, setting up, documenting.
- Help maintain the physical property as needed or assigned.
- Assist with building positive relations with family members, community members, and funding agencies.
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must pass a criminal history check.
- The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented orally and in writing.
- Physically able to perform restraints of another person if necessary.
Must be able to read, write, and communicate. While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee is required to bend, lift, seize, hold, or otherwise work with hand or hands. Must be capable of expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
General school environment with moderate noise. This position involves sitting and may involve walking or standing for periods of time. A busy environment with many unscheduled interruptions. Computer use as needed for training or documenting. Public contact position requiring appropriate business apparel.