Established Consulting Engineering firm office based in Atlanta as part of a 475-person engineering firm, has an immediate opportunity for a degreed and licensed Mechanical Engineer. The successful candidates will have experience on Mission Critical, commercial, and industrial projects.
This individual would manage and support varied tasks including HVAC Team Leadership, HVAC engineering and design, equipment selection and specifications, mathematical calculations and research of applicable building codes, ASHRAE standards and other pertinent energy efficiency related industry standards. Vanderweil requires experience that includes full project involvement from concept design to construction documents and Contract Administration. Prior direct client interaction is also important, including project meetings and technical interaction with internal and external clients. PE license is required.
- Day to day management of the mechanical engineering team regarding tasks, projects, and issues, and removing roadblocks as appropriate
- Be a client facing mechanical subject matter expert
- Apply standard engineering design principles and methodologies as well as applicable codes in the preparation of construction documents.
- Lead conceptual and schematic design phases of projects to ensure design fundamentals meet client expectations and code requirements.
- Prepare or direct development of design documentation including drawings, calculations, specifications, reports, etc.
- Prepare or direct development of specifications, working drawings, instructions, and other related documents.
- Maintain complete and orderly project files and documentation.
- Participate in the QC process by reviewing drawings and evaluating the need for design changes; make appropriate recommendations.
- Perform design reviews as part of the QC process.
- Ensure that production of drawings, specifications, reports, and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Maintain current knowledge of National electrical codes as well as design and construction procedures to meet changing priorities.
- Develop and communicate to the design team a project budget and timeline to ensure a timely, cost effective delivery of the engineering design.
- Lead “Kick Off” meetings clearly define the scope of work and project goals.
- Monitor the financial performance of the project and identify areas of ‘scope creep’ for Add Service opportunities; coordinate with the customer or client manager to successfully address the issue.
- Communicate directly with client on projects managed.
- Work with the Project Accountant in the preparation of invoices and other project documentation.
Mentoring and Training
- Assist in the professional development of junior engineers and designers through individual mentoring and participation in the firm’s various internal training programs.
- Participate in continual process improvement through leadership in initiative teams, task committees, training sessions and other special efforts.
- Develop and grow the mechanical department.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable discipline
- Professional Engineer (PE) designation
- Minimum of 10 years related experience
- Experience leading cross-disciplinary design teams and the ability to mentor junior engineers and designers to help them advance their technical skills.
- Strong aptitude in engineering design.
- Strong computer skills (AutoCAD, REVIT, BIM360, Plant 3D, Microsoft Office).
- Well developed, detail oriented organizational skills.
- Ability to work with management to set and achieve goals based on the client’s priorities and project objectives.
- Support internal and external customers.
- Ability to work as part of a design team as well as independently.
Mechanical Engineer (General)