Tech Lead/ Manager (Ruby/Elixir)
San Francisco, California
The Growth Engineering team is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our team in building customer experiences to drive acquisition, onboarding, monetization, cross-product expansion, and retention across the New Relic product suite. We use experimentation to drive conversion rates and revenue opportunities while we also drive increased customer engagement and happiness with all of our products.
You’ll lead a hard-working group of engineers, both architecturally as well as through their career growth. We need someone who understands the value of career development and can help propel the team forward by facilitating constructive discussions around project progress, process improvements, mentorship, and general job satisfaction. You should be well-versed in full-stack design principles and be able to not only give advice on code architecture and but participate in day-to-day coding responsibilities.
Please include a short cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you think we should work together.
- You have 2+ years of engineering management experience as a “player/coach”, leading highly performant teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning, what you did to ensure engineers felt productive, and how you balanced engineering work with management work.
- You have 4+ years in a production, hands-on software engineering team using either Ruby or Python, and possess a strong understanding of software architecture, design patterns, and test automation best practices.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have experience working with a Product Manager and design teams, and balancing business priorities with the needs of your team and their systems.
- You are data-oriented and use data to drive decision making to back-up your team’s results.
- You care deeply about understanding customers, both through face-to-face interaction as well as through data.
- You have worked on or managed a Growth-focused Engineering team
- You have a background in statistical data analysis
Team Focus Areas
- Data-driven Analysis: We ask the right questions about what drives growth, collect relevant data, automate the analysis, and define tests that improve conversion.
- Acquisition: We optimize the digital acquisition for newrelic.com and focus on improving the conversion rate of different aspects of our digital marketing strategy.
- Engagement & Retention: Setup, signup, and production adoption are the key experiences that we own across the customer lifecycle.
- Monetization: We are responsible for the self-service purchase experience in product, which allows customers to seamlessly buy or expand their use of New Relic.
- Expansion: Giving delighted customers the tools to broaden awareness of our products and services and drive viral growth both inside and outside of customer accounts.
Please note, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
At New Relic, we hire people who are eager to contribute to our culture, and we empower them to do just that. We take pride in thinking beyond our day-to-day job and encourage you to actively seek out opportunities to create the type of work environment that you want to be a part of. What does this look like in action? You should be ready to be a “culture add” to New Relic and spend ~5% of your time finding meaningful ways to make this an even better place to work.
A little about us:
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. New Relic’s cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. Learn why more than 50% of the Fortune 100 trust New Relic at newrelic.com.
New Relic is a San Francisco Best Places to Work award winner, an Oregon “Top Workplace” award winner, named a leader in the Gartner’s 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 “Magic Quadrant” for APM companies, a Top 100 OnDemand Company, Best of SaaS (THINKStrategies), Top 100 Coolest Cloud Computing (CRN); 10 Cloud Management Companies to Watch (NetworkWorld) – the list of accolades goes on. More important than all of that: we provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move.
Our office is in the tech-rich urban center of San Francisco, with easy commute access and a plethora of good eats. We provide competitive compensation, equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc) -- all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic is most decidedly an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note: Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.