What we need from you
Appvion Operations, Inc. is recruiting for a Technical Co-Op for Spring & Summer semesters and Summer & Fall semesters. The Technical Co-Op role is intended to provide students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment and support the student’s career goals. The Technical Co-Op experience allows students the opportunity to integrate knowledge and skills in manners that are mutually beneficial to both the student and Appvion.
The Technical Department is responsible for leading continuous improvement projects and initiatives in the areas of safety, quality, new business development, cost reduction and process improvements at the Spring Mill. The Technical Co-Op is responsible for completing and/or supporting a variety of process related safety, quality and cost reduction projects and activities. This can include participating in Lean Manufacturing initiatives and/or Six Sigma projects. Technical Co-Ops are expected to work for two consecutive semesters at the Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania facility.
What you get to do
The actual responsibilities assigned will vary depending on the skills and qualifications of the person in the job and the evolving needs of the department. However, the initial responsibilities expected of this position include the following:
- Lead continuous improvement projects in the area of safety, quality, cost reduction and/or process optimization
- Assist process engineers and operations with trials and data collection/analysis
- Help troubleshoot and resolve process issues
- Assist in the creation of standard operating procedures
- Coordinate the completion of action items resulting from improvement efforts
- Participate as needed in Lean Manufacturing continuous improvement events
- Provide support as needed for new product development
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as requested
What we are looking for
- Majoring in Chemical Engineering or other field of Science with a least one year of study successfully completed.
- Required to work two consecutive semesters; Spring & Summer or Summer & Fall.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (nights and weekends on an as needed basis)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must actively support and demonstrate safe working practices
- Must have good interpersonal skills, be results oriented, and a team player
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to apply engineering and scientific principles to resolve problems and to make improvements
- Capable of working in a flexible, often shifting environment
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of management, operational and maintenance employees
- Learns quickly and competently applies knowledge to achieve expected results
- Experience in the use of Minitab or similar software to do statistical analysis of data
- Basic understanding of Lean/Six Sigma manufacturing principles
- Previous experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated leadership experience
Please apply online at www.appvion.com. No phone calls please. All offers of employment are contingent on a pre-employment physical and drug and alcohol screen. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.