IMMEDIATE MANAGER: Sr. Director, Sourcing & Production
THE PURPOSE: As the Technical Design Manager you will lead a team of designers and partner with production to ensure that all products are consistent with brand standards and seasonal design concepts for specific classifications. You will leverage your advanced skills in garment grading/specifications, fit and construction, fabrics, sewing operations, and pattern making to lead your team in fulfilling these objectives.
THE ROLE (what you are accountable for)
- Work closely with the Design, Production and Merchandising team to understand the vision and carry it through to production
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent; Ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories
- Oversee product categories and your team’s collaboration with vendors both domestic and overseas.
- Ensure brand integrity by identifying and making recommendations for any production, quality and cost issues
- Prioritize workload for the team, manage the development calendar and address any deadline issues
- Provide technical expertise to the design team, technical team, offshore office and suppliers. Foresee problems and offer alternatives where appropriate.
- Direct and assist tech designers in pattern corrections as needed for best possible fit and communication to production partners
- Apply established grade rules to approved styles.
- Attend fittings with tech designers and cross functional partners, providing guidance and ass in problem solving as needed.
- Coach tech designers to enhance communication, fitting and pattern skills
- Develop technical design talent and provide tools to help the team work efficiently and smartly while maintaining standards of excellence.
- A skilled and proven leader who understands the importance of team building/development.
- A multi-tasker that is capable of managing tight deadlines.
- Able to thrive in a changing, fast paced environment with a strong sense of urgency.
REQUIRED MINIMUM EXPERIENCE
- At least 8 years of technical design experience
- 2 years managing and leading a team
- Degree in Fashion Design or related industry
- Expert knowledge of fabrics, trims, and sewing operations associated with standard product types
- Advanced understanding of the Product Development and Manufacturing Processes in partnership with offshore manufacturer, domestic importing, and/or foreign trading companies
- Thorough understanding of fit and garment construction
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design
- 5 years of managing and leading a team
- Full Circle
- Adobe Suite