King of Prussia, PA - Home Office
The product strategy of Lilly Pulitzer® is to create innovative designs that delight our customers, have high retail sell through and contribute to the profitable growth of the company.
The Technical Designer has responsibility in developing and creating high quality, well-fitting apparel and to adhere to the established fit in alignment with the company’s fit and sizing initiatives that will ultimately delight the Lilly Pulitzer® consumer by translating to market superior apparel product. This will in turn lead to profitable growth for the company over a multi-year horizon.
The Technical Designer is responsible to provide guidance to both Fashion Design and the supplier base regarding fit, sizing, grading, garment specifications and construction and is to ensure that all tech packs and patterns are issued in accordance with the goals of achieving Fashion Design’s stylistic intent and achieving market superior apparel product with quality standards according to Lilly Pulitzer ® Brand.
The Technical Designer has the overall responsibility for the completion of technical packages from concept to end product. The Technical Designer will lead fit sessions and fit garments independently. They will also provide fit recommendations and solutions to issues. The primary measure of doing this well is the returns rate in the e-commerce full price business.
The Technical Designer should operate in a manner consistent with the Company Creed, Core Values and Core Leadership qualities.
The Technical Designer must demonstrate understanding of issues and be able to execute as a part of a high performing, results oriented team.
The Technical Designer has a responsibility to collaborate effectively with her Manager and other cross-functional partners. These include primarily Fashion Design, Product Development, Production, Fabric/Trim and Quality Assurance. As part of the overall duties, there are six major areas of responsibility:
Understand the Lilly Pulitzerâ customer, lifestyle, positioning in the marketplace and product strategy; Work closely with her Manager and Fashion Design to understand the desired styling and fit intent of each silhouette and to develop tech packs that achieve this intent; Operate within the calendar; Collaborate effectively with her Manager, Product Development and Production, and Quality Assurance, to make sure actual production is consistent with technical specifications; Visit factories overseas to help them to understand the tech packs and design intent to ensure adherence to standards that result in high quality bulk production; Fit with The Company Creed, Core Values and Core Leadership Qualities.
The six major areas are discussed below.
Understand the Lilly PulitzerâCustomer, Lifestyle, Positioning in the Marketplace and Product Strategy.
- Lilly Pulitzer® is a lifestyle, branded marketing company in the apparel, accessories and footwear business serving the needs of the affluent customer at ease. The company’s brand positioning is Lilly’s Resort Chic. Key competitive advantages for Lilly Pulitzer® are prints, authentic resort, optimism and multi-generational.
- Know and appreciate the Lilly Pulitzerâ customer. The customer is multi-generational. This affects fit and styling and thus impacts decisions technical design will make.
- The product strategy is to create innovative designs that delight our customer, have high retail sell through and contribute to the profitable growth of the company.
- Spend sufficient time in company operated retail stores to try on merchandise and to talk to the Store Manager or sales staff regarding customer feedback on merchandise.
Work closely with Manager and Fashion Design to understand the desired styling and fit intent of each silhouette and to develop tech packs that achieve this intent.
- Work closely with Manager to develop a library of established fit blocks that meet the intent of Fashion Design’s vision. This will be done under the supervision of the Director of Technical Design to ensure consistency between categories and viability in a bulk production setting.
- Collaborate with Manager in reviewing new silhouettes, as a first step, to determine if the new silhouette can be based upon an existing style or block pattern.
- Ensure that established best practices, such as fit intent, construction and standard body measurements are being adhered to by both Fashion Design and Technical Design.
- Ability to import, export and digitize patterns using the Gerber Software.
- Fashion Design is responsible to provide direction on the stylistic intent of each silhouette and to give a general idea of how each silhouette should fit, it is the responsibility of Technical Design to take this vision and morph it into a tech pack, graded spec and pattern that captures the design intent, but is viable from a fit, sizing, construction and bulk production angle. Lilly Pulitzer® is a design led organization. This however does not absolve Technical Design from providing input and direction on fit and construction in order to ensure that the outcome will delight the consumer. It is critical that The Technical Designer understands and implements this.
Operate within the calendar.
- Meet all assigned dates in the Product Development Calendar.
Collaborate effectively with her Manager, Product Development and Production, and Quality Assurance, to make sure actual production is consistent with technical specifications.
- Work closely with Product Development and Production, including Quality Assurance, to make sure the vendors, quality assurance teams and product development teams understand the “How to Measure” manuals and implement them with the vendor base.
- The Technical Designer must have the ability to collaborate effectively with a broad range of colleagues, primarily other Technical Designers and counterparts in Fashion Design as well as Product Development, Production and Quality Assurance.
- The Technical Designer should instill confidence in others and be knowledgeable and in control of all matters related her assigned styles.
Visit factories overseas to help them to understand the tech packs and design intent to ensure adherence to standards that result in high quality bulk production.
- Spend sufficient time with oversea factories to help them to understand the company’s asethics, constructions, technical packages as well as quality standards.
Fit with The Company Creed, Core Values and Core Leadership Qualities.
- The Technical Designer should fit with The Company Creed, the Core Values and the Core Leadership Qualities.
- The Technical Designer should demonstrate leadership in alignment with the Core Leadership Qualities. It is not enough merely to perform the job. How things are done, is equally as important as what is done.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO PERFORM SUCCESSFULLY:
- The Technical Designer needs to have a high degree of technical knowledge, conducting and overseeing fittings, garment construction, pattern making, size grade rules and translating the intent of Fashion Design into technical design specification packages (tech packs).
- The ability to address and train a broader group both interally and externally.
- They will lead fit sessions and fit garments as well as provide fit recommendations and solutions to issues.
- Meticulous with details and driven by the technical aspect of the design process.
- The ability to make detailed fit comments and corrections using sketches and photos to communicate required modifications to vendors.
- Articulates technical specification to vendors.
- Partners with vendors to resolve issues.
- Identifies construction issues and partners with Manager in cases where standards are not met or where deviations are suggested.
- Evaluate samples to ensure they meet construction, grading/tolerances, and safety standards.
- Conducts quality and value analysis of products and present ideas and solution to Manager.
- Must have proficiency and comfort in the use of technology to support Technical Design. This includes primarily the Centric® and Web Product Data Management (PDM) System. It includes the Pattern Design System Module of Accumark®. Training will be provided for this. Basic computer skills, such as Outlook®, Word®, and Excel® in a Microsoft Windows® environment is required.
- The sense of urgency necessary in the apparel industry is required.
- The ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment as well as adjust to every changing priority.
- Responsible for communicating clearly all necessary information to a wide variety of departments and vendors to produce a high-quality garment for production and to our customer.
- Out of the box thinker, who can collaborate with internal and external teams across levels.
- The Technical Designer should be able to maintain the role of Technical Design within the product development lifecycle as defined by the Director of Technical Design at all times. Technical Design is the gatekeeper amongst Fashion Design intent, Production feasibility and end-use wearability.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A four-year college degree is required. This must be in technical design, or a closely related subject.
- At least five years of prior experience in a technical design position or a pattern making position are required. This should include working with a supplier base that is largely outside of North America. This experience is preferably with a women’s fashion branded apparel company.
- This position is classified as full-time salaried; it is exempt and is not eligible for overtime. This position is eligible for standard company fringe benefits.
- This position may require Domstic & International travel.
- Given the seasonality of the business, this position may require flexible, additional working hours during peak periods.
- This position is reviewed annually.
Lilly Pulitzer® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lilly Pulitzer® participates in E-Verify. Details in English and Spanish. Right to Work Statement in English and Spanish.