Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2020 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Technical Manager within our Battleground Chlor-Alkali Plant located in
La Porte, TX.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and or transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Ensure that Process Safety and Risk Management principles are incorporated into the foundation of department operations. Ensure annual departmental goals and objectives include meaningful Process Safety activities for all levels of the organization.
- Provide leadership for the development and implementation of cost saving projects (fixed, variable and marginal income).
- Manage all available technical resources (internal and external) to ensure timely and cost-effective achievement of Chlor-Alkali and Cogeneration priorities. Provide work direction for process engineers, process control specialist, process safety specialist and laboratory.
- Assure compliance to PSM (MOC’s, PSSR’s, Procedures, Audits, etc).
- Maintain or develop technical knowledge and skills of all team members at “state of the art”.
- Assist operations personnel in troubleshooting process upsets and operation problems.
- Drive the implementation of a forward plan through strategic automation to improve the plant’s overall safety, environmental, reliability and cost performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 8+ years in a manufacturing or technical function in the chemical industry.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and a good working knowledge of SAP.
- The ability to lead through teaching and leading by example.
- The ability to prepare and lead budget discussions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies, by guiding and leading technical resources to define and troubleshoot plant issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Physical requirements – must be able to lift 40 lbs., climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
- Supervisory experience with both hourly and salaried individuals.
Occidental is an EqualOpportunity Employer / Individual with Disability / Veteran Status