EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
The Technical Platform Product Manager is the primary resident expert for the EBSCO API. The perfect candidate would understand how the API works, understand what the industry needs and work with the Program Leadership Team to prioritize the features required to solve the industry shortcomings with competitor APIs. You will be responsible for working through contract negotiations with internal users of the API to ensure we are providing the public with the best of the best.
As a member of the Platform Product Management team, you will take an active role in amplifying the voice of end-users and the product line strategy for the program team serving the API ART. You will participate in user testing and user research, data-driven product analysis, and help monitor key technology trends to ensure positive outcomes for the evolution of the API.
What you’ll do
· Work with stakeholders to understand their needs and manage their expectations as you influence engineering teams to implement solutions with your guidance
· Work with Library Service Engineers who are internal users of the API and assist with Prioritization requirements needed for them to be successful with their customers
· Work with internal and external partners and assist with prioritization of solving their end user problems
· Work with our mobile vendor to ensure our API strategy stays in line with the mobile requirements that may not be needed for other internal applications
· Work with internal users during contract negotiations to ensure the contracts will work not only for our internal users, but also for any public consumer of the API
· Understanding Swagger documentation and ensuring completeness, accuracy, and usability
· Own Go-to-Market responsibilities for the public facing EBSCO API
· Collaborate with the API architects to ensure the necessary technical capabilities are in place on which to build high performing, secure, and extensible APIs
· Define and defend which feature sub-set and which endpoints will be needed in the public version of the EBSCO API
· Collaborate with user experience experts and user interface designers to ensure features have supporting documentation and design for an engaging customer experience
· Work with customers, product management, technology, and sales leaders to define the business drivers, product/market intent, and customer expectations
· Set, articulate, and advocate product vision and strategy
Who you are
· Lead by example and is self-confident but humble
· Operate with a defined vision and a bias for action
· A self-directed, rapid learner
· Not content with the status quo and able to break down barriers to pull the company forward
· Exhibit passion and excitement regarding your work
· Tenacious and willing to go the distance to get things done
· Collaborative by choice and doesn’t make decisions in isolation
· Passionate about improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered
· Adaptable to changing priorities and conditions and copes effectively with ambiguity and complexity
· Effective written and face-to-face communicator
Skills or experience that you need
· Five or more years working in a Product Management, ideally working with APIs or technical products
· Two or more years working in lean-agile software development environment
· You have technical competency and can 'talk the talk' with engineers. You understand APIs and data manipulation but have the empathy and mindset of a product manager who embraces design thinking, Agile and decision making. You also appreciate content and understand the need for it to be accurate and distributed with speed.
· Experience with API and integration best practices across multiple products
Skills or experience that sets you apart
· Deep empathy for customers
· Can derive actionable insights from customer usage data
· Practical experience with A/B or multivariate testing
· A proven track record of product management and delivery of world-class consumer facing software or services
· A track record of highlighting difficult, systemic problems and working with others to define and implement effective solutions
· An understanding of technical systems at a level sufficient to assist with decision making and sequencing of key technology improvements that are needed to execute dependent features and functionality
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or master’s degree in library information systems
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.
Nearest Major Market: Boston
Job Segment:Information Technology, IT Manager, Engineer, Information Systems, Marketing, Technology, Engineering