Technical Program Manager, Gigafactory Design & Construction
- Job Category
- Sparks, Nevada
- Req. ID
- Job Type
Designing & building world-class Gigafactories, at record speed, is key to enable Tesla to scale worldwide. We are looking for a highly motivated technical program manager to join our Gigafactory design & construction team. This position will be located in Reno, NV.
In this role, you will be asked to own and drive the full design and engineering efforts for construction and infrastructure development from concept to production. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in engineering, construction, manufacturing and technical program management.
The role requires a highly organized mindset, a passion for driving multi-disciplinary projects, and an unparalleled ability to pull people together to make things happen. Our program schedules push the limits of what is physically possible. This requires you to be extremely detail oriented, identify real hard barriers and drive the cross-functional teams to execute quickly at high quality. You will drive collaboration between Engineering, Construction, Manufacturing and Production to ensure our team’s goals are aligned with company priorities. You will work to understand the opportunities and challenges of each project, translate scattered information into a concise and complete message, document and communicate to every team member. You will aim to make our team efficient and effective while reducing ambiguity from Tesla’s plans. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment, so being self‐motivated and disciplined is critical. Managing the schedules, budget, and resources of projects at Tesla requires an individual who is passionate about our mission and is focused on collaborative solutions.
- Own the full design and engineering effort for construction and infrastructure development from concept to production to meet Tesla’s aggressive goals
- Dive deep to fundamentally understand and scrutinize technical stakeholders requirements and translate them into project scope with clear execution plan and responsibilities.
- Distill, document and manage scope effectively to support highly dynamic environment.
- Organize and manage design reviews, construction design packages and deliverables to support all aspects of construction.
- Manage all aspects of technical planning, scope development, change management, programming, design, and engineering services during construction.
- Synthesize and own report-outs, highlighting status, risks, mitigations and opportunities across all levels of management within Tesla.
- Identify resource requirements and highlight gaps across various stages for all projects.
- Own project funding request process.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the various cross-functional teams to ensure overall program alignment.
- Perform conceptual engineering analysis for multiple scenarios that can include high level schedule and/or budget development to help customers and stakeholders make critical business decisions at multiple sites based on time and cost constraints.
- Proactively seek out and coordinate all technical and business information required from the numerous customers and stakeholders and transform this into a scope of work used to set a baseline program scope, cost and schedule.
- Understand different project delivery methods including design bid build, integrated project development, and fast track projects.
- Understand lean construction principles and fully integrated design using BIM.
- Implement innovative engineering and design methodologies to support very aggressive program and construction schedules.
- Focus is a limited resource. Demonstrate the agility required to quickly shift focus between tasks in order to deliver on multiple design projects.
- Infrastructure development is a problem of complexity, objective thinking, and social interactions. Prove an ability to solve subjective problems with objective fundamentals.
- Influence various teams without direct reporting structure.
· B.S. in Engineering, M.S preferred but not required.
- Experience and understanding of building and manufacturing facilities design and construction.
- Engineering experience on industrial projects from concept to delivery.
- Advanced project management skills, demonstrated application of project and program management fundamentals to complex engineering problems.
- Ability to effectively execute many projects and tasks in parallel.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills with ability to understand complex problems and distill the message into a clear plan.
- Can communicate with technical and non-technical team members effectively.
- Positive, enthusiastic, fast learner, can-do mindset and passionate about manufacturing infrastructure.
- Thrives under pressure and in ambiguous environment.
- Willingness to travel to support Gigafactory development worldwide.
- Ability to work long hours, evenings and weekends as needed by the projects.
- Construction Project Management experience is a plus.
- Scheduling software, preferably Primavera P6.
- Subcontractor and consulting engineer management experience.