CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Rotational Program Summary
The Technical Service Representative Development Program is a structured 18-month long rotation program that will expose future technical service representatives to various aspects of the Performance Coatings Group. The three-part rotation program will provide necessary experiences to build key skills enabling program participants to become successful technical service professionals. See Rotation Assignment Summary documents.
The program will include the following experiences:
- Build acumen around the SW business, segments, customers, and go-to-market strategy
- Gain a thorough understanding of Sherwin-Williams technical service and sales processes
- Build technical service skills and aptitude
- Develop plans and diagnostic methods to effectively understand and address customer needs
- Execute product application and troubleshoot product issues
- Support the sales organization achieve financial goals and gain an understanding of P&L management
- Build cross-functional partnerships with and understand the interaction of Sales, Operations, & R&D to execute the business strategy
- Gain a basic understanding of the assigned division’s product offerings and technical applications
Provides technical services to external customers and sales representatives, including troubleshooting, offering fundamental technical direction and assistance to customers on product(s) use, training and support. Responsibilities may include responding to common questions and concerns, applying basic application technologies, and providing general assistance to customers on improving operational quality and efficiency.
Demonstrates time management, problem solving, and decision making when providing technical services.
- Attend customer and prospects calls to deliver customer service and technical support to customers in territory, region, etc.
- Work with internal groups/departments to ensure product quality, service, and delivery meet or exceed customer expectations
- Resolve customer complaints in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Respond to basic questions and concerns from the customer regarding product line(s) and general operations; generally involves task orientated situations, limited problem solving, and direct supervision.
- Conduct product trials to ensure customer's knowledge and understanding
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) to ensure customer understands products, applications, and solutions via product demonstrations, presentations, etc.
- Serves as a basic operational advisor to customers by applying routine quality tools and analytical concepts to assist with improving product quality and efficiency; receives direction or guidance on most issues
- Build and maintain relationships with customers to gain trust and create positive view of the organization
- Evaluate and redirect concerns or issues to appropriate source if unable to assist customer
MaintainandUtilizeProductKnowledge& Technical Expertise
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on current and new products, including application technique
- Implement and share best practices regarding new products and customer training with team members, partnering closely with the R&D function
- Evaluate and recommend improvements to current products, systems, and processes
- Provides technical direction and assistance to customers on the use of the product line(s); typically includes single locations and technologies, and basic application methods
Provide Sales Support
- Support and communicate with internal Sales teams on current and new customer needs, issues, and products
- Serves as a liaison with sales by interacting with line personnel, developing a greater understanding of needs and operations, and providing observations and leads to sales; receives direction from other personnel.
- Assists with performing account management activities by facilitating new or recurring orders, developing relationships with customer contacts, and facilitating communications with sales personnel.
- Assist in collecting market information on customers and competitors, and estimating customer potential and the facility/branch’s market share
- Partner with marketing and sales to identify competitor strengths and weaknesses and S-W's competitive advantages
- Schedule meetings, calls, visits, etc. with external customers
- Develop and document strategies to troubleshoot customer issues
High School diploma or GED equivalent
Trade school degrees of various kinds including paint application; military mechanical repair and/or refurbishment education; associates of bachelor degree in science curriculums
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
Knowledge of basic math skills, computer knowledge for inputting and data analysis
Familiarity with metal substrates and industrial paint/coatings application
Diagnostic troubleshooting experience and mechanical inclinations
Previous experience servicing industrial B2B customers
Candidate must be willing to relocate for assignments and career advancement either as part of the rotation program or for the final third rotation when assigned a territory
Candidate must be eligible to work in the US on a full-time basis without restrictions or need for visa sponsorship
TECHNICAL/SKILL REQUIREMENTS/PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Effective written and verbal communication with team members and customers
- Establishing and maintaining organization of schedules, meetings, time sheets, and resources
- Customer orientation
- Diplomatic attitude
- Influencing customers
- Open-mindedness, willingness to accept change and new ideas
- Self-motivation to work independently with supervision
- Problem-solving to address issues or concerns in a logical manner
- Time management (prioritizing urgent matters)
- Maintaining positive attitude, especially in the face of challenges
- Personal accountability
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status, or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract. VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting priority referral of protected veterans.