Symbotics talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
The Technical Writer will be expected to write, format, edit, and validate technical documents to include, but not limited to: Controls User Manuals, Management System Procedures, Troubleshooting Manuals, engineering process procedures. The position requires that the writer acquire subject knowledge by interviewing controls engineers, software engineers and other developers or cross-functional personnel. The Technical Writer will also ensure that the documentation is properly stored in the company repository according to company standards and follows company style guidelines and release processes.
What you will be doing:
- Write clear, concise instructions following company standards based on verbal instructions, draft versions of documents and handwritten notes.
- Produce technical engineering documentation for both technicians and less skilled end-users.
- Write and maintain customer-facing software and controls documentation.
- Attend meetings and working sessions, build consensus, and track action items.
- Manage and monitor the technical review of each deliverable, taking proactive steps when necessary.
- Work closely with cross-functional team members to design and develop accurate and complete documentation.
- Learn and master complex software and controls products.
- Organize and schedule times to interview subject matter experts and generate penetrating questions.
- Recognize issues before they are prohibitive and take action to avoid them or escalate as necessary.
- Read and understand technical schematics, specifications, and equipment descriptions.
- Edit and revise documentation produced by others.
- Follow corporate publishing standards (e.g., style guide, glossaries, branding, templates, etc.).
- Work well individually or as a part of a group.
- All Symbotic employees are required to make safety their top priority
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering related discipline (Computer Science, Mechanical, Electrical, or Robotics.) or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience developing and documenting technical content
- Knowledge and technical documentation experience pertaining to PLC/Controls
- PLC (Rockwell Automation, PLCs, HMI, Allen Bradley, Siemens)
- Robot (ABB, Fanuc)
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication.
- Highly motivated and self-directed.
- Experience writing technical documentation for software development teams.
- Experience writing internal documentation for an advanced audience.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work closely with cross-functional team members to design and develop accurate and complete documentation.
- Experience with Adobe FrameMaker or similar authoring tool.
- Experience using Microsoft Word templates and styles.
- Experience with Adobe RoboHelp or similar HTML Help authoring tool.
- Experience with Microsoft Visio, and screen capture/editing programs a plus.
- Experience with SolidWorks or another 3D CAD program a plus (for screen capture only).
- Experience with knowledge management methodologies.
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.