Title: Technical Writer
Location: Peterson AFB - Colorado Springs, CO
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is an innovative small business committed to providing world class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Duties include but are not limited to:
The Technical Writer team member shall be able to apply writing skills and substantial knowledge of the basic principles and specialized vocabulary of appropriate subject-matter fields to enable accurate communication of scientific and technological developments to expert and other interested audiences.
Technical writers may also apply writing skills and an understanding of the appropriate equipment and systems to the development of specifications showing the characteristics and capabilities or the design and test requirements of equipment and systems; or to the development of training, operating, or maintenance manuals associated with equipment and systems.
Technical writers, in addition to reporting research findings and agency decisions, articulate agency policies and explain technical aspects of agency programs to those affected. The materials explain technical information in such a way as to make it clear without sacrificing thoroughness and accuracy.
Technical writers make sure materials are consistent with agency policy and with other information presented by the agency, meet the style requirements of the agency and the publication, and are written at an appropriate level for the intended audience.
Technical writers typically use desktop publishing hardware to draft, edit, and lay out material and sometimes to design, print, and distribute it.
Technical writers may manage individual or serial publications from initial conception and content determination through distribution and coordinate the activities of other publishing personnel. Technical writers and technical editors often make final reviews of proposed publications for style, design, layout, and editorial aspects before release.
Technical writers prepare original papers, articles, or reports in scientific, technical, or professional fields based on research, interviews with experts and program officials, and sometimes observation of or participation in tests and experiments. They also may prepare manuals for training in or guidance on the operation or maintenance of technical equipment and systems, or specifications for the development or purchase of such equipment and systems. Technical writers use their knowledge of the language and methods used in the specialized field to understand and work with technical information. Typical work assignments involve:
- Obtaining, analyzing, and selecting the pertinent information
- Determining the most logical and effective sequence of the narrative
- Determining the overall length and tone based on the objectives, the medium, and the audience
- Writing the material
- Consulting on or selecting illustrative material
- Preparing the material for publication.
- Write technical direction on product announcements, marketing brochures, advertisements, and marketing specifications.
- Meet with customer representatives, vendors, system engineers, and program managers to establish technical specifications.
- Study drawings, specifications, mock ups, and product samples.
- Create user documentation for a variety of material, including how-to guides and instruction manuals.
- Prepare charts, graphs, or forms to go along with rough drafts.
- Ensure document contents follow required formats.
- Write clear and concise policies and procedures.
- Ensure consistency of wording among multiple documents.
- Create table of contents and cite sources.
- Submit copies to managers for feedback.
- Maintain electronic library or all signed documents and final presentations.
- Provide updates and different editions as necessary.
Minimum Experience and Skills:
- Valid DOD Top Secret clearance
- US Citizenship
- Technical writing experience within the Department of Defense relative to information and/or business systems environment
- Excellent writing skills and strong command of the English language, including grammar
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well with other organizations and personnel with disparate backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong technical, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Experience in MS Office software, including MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint required; experience in MS Project and MS Access
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting; hiring; placement; promotion; termination; layoff; recall; transfer; leaves of absence; compensation; and training.
- Military Leave
- On Site Cafeteria
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Gym Memberships
- Professional Development
- Life Insurance
- Employee Referral Program
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid sick days
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Retirement / Pension Plans