Our key client is experiencing tremendous growth and adding to their team. We are looking for a long-term contract Technical Writer to support a global team. The location for this role is Hoffman Estates.
Software technical editing is a specialized discipline that requires a combination of deep technical ability and communications mastery, with the disposition to move at the pace of modern CI/CD delivery. As a technical editor in an enterprise engineering context, you will support multiple engineering teams and architects to refine and publish developer’s guides, data and process migration guides, release notes, code samples, Getting Started guides, developer and user tutorials, context-sensitive help, and more. You will also contribute to documentation standards that apply to all products across multiple portfolios.
The Enterprise Architecture & Platforms team is looking for an experienced software technical editor to assist in developing the content pieces of our emerging platforms. Our quickly evolving space requires that the editor is comfortable with software engineering tools and methodologies, editing using developer tools (we use markdown, not word processors or CMS systems), and operating daily in an Agile/Scrum context. The editor we’re looking for will work with highly technical SMEs and writers to craft documentation for both technical and non-technical audiences.
We are looking for a highly collaborative, cooperative, and positive team player who is able to adapt quickly as priorities shift. We are in the early stages of many of our platforms, so it requires a level of agility that is more akin to a startup than an established publishing department. This role requires a win-as-a-team attitude, with a willingness to jump in selflessly to help us achieve our goals quickly.
- Edit technical content for either internal or external developers, including API reference docs, use-case driven developer’s guides, tutorials, and more
- Manage deadlines and deliverables across multiple products and platforms
- Enforce and promote our standards, best practices, and guidelines,
- Provide coaching and mentorship with regard to writing skills to writers and non-writers where appropriate
- Create templates
- Participate in the Pull Request + CI/CD process for engineering teams, providing content editing and rewrite suggestions from a Product lens for customer-facing artifacts
- Provide structural editing beyond copy including information architecture
- UI and site content review/editing
- Estimate turnaround time for editing services
- Provide full transparency on work through the Scrum process, helping teammates to work harmoniously and to help each other
- BA/BS degree in a technical field or the equivalent professional experience
- 5 years of relevant experience in software, platform engineering, or with IT tools
- Familiarity with developer tools and comfortable with authoring within those tools
- Familiarity with CSS and markdown
- Familiarity with cloud technologies and platforms
- Willingness to switch contexts quickly as needed, using a service or consultant-oriented approach
- 7 years of relevant experience, including a deep understanding of API and SDK documentation structure and editing standards
- Familiarity with Git processes
- Familiarity with DevOps, CI/CD, and AWS infrastructure a plus