Our Fairbanks Morse team is currently looking for a Technical Writer/Illustrator to join the team out of our Houston service center. From preparing our technical manuals and helping to shape maintenance standards, to creating service information letters and customer information documentation, no day will be the same. You will interpret technical information included in engineering drawings and translate these instructions into clear and concise language that is understandable to our diverse customer base. You will use both 2D and 3D software to prepare technical illustrations and drawings to help complement our written content.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
Responsibilities of the Technical Writer:
- Prepare written copy for Technical Manuals to meet contract requirements.
- Work to meet contract commitments as scheduled, including validation activities.
- Develop repair parts lists and illustrations using bills of material and engineering drawings.
- Manage vendors that are providing data development resources.
- Review specifications as they relate to technical manual deliverables and estimate effort required.
- Read specifications and other contract documents and determine the types of technical documentation required.
- Interact with FM Program Management, Engineering, Training, and Sales & Marketing groups and determine the scope and formatting necessary.
- Develop data necessary for the preparation ofoperation andmaintenance(O&M) technicalmanuals, maintenance standards, service information letters (SILs) and other technical documents.
- Draft text material as required for new, original technical documentation and prepare updates and revisions as necessary to existing or previously written technical documentation.
- Prepare clear technical illustrations and graphic depictions as necessary to support the written text.
- Prepare, organize and deliver preliminary contract deliverable documentation; adjudicate and incorporate customer comments/corrections and prepare final contract deliverable documentation.
Required Qualifications of the Technical Writer:
- Completed Associate's Degree or equivalent experience in a maintenance related technical writing environment.
- 5 years’ technical writing experience; preferably in heavy machinery manufacturing, military maintenance, power generation, or marine application related environment.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with the ability to use both 2D and 3D software.
- Ability to read blueprints, engineering orders, bills of material, and interpret contract specifications.
- Highly skilled with Microsoft Office with exposure to; Oracle, XML Schema/Stylesheet, FrameMaker Arbortext and SQML authoring/document development.
Competencies of the Technical Writer:
- Leadership, Builds Effective Teams
- Customer Service and Customer Focus
- Development of Personnel and Talent
- Ensures Accountability and Follow Through
- Motivation of Others and Drives Results
- Action Oriented, Performance Focus
- Safety and Sales Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
Fairbanks offers significant career development opportunities as well as salary and benefits packages including health, dental and life insurance, 401(k) with company match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, an open vacation policy.
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. Reliable and dependable, their flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours – many units with over 40 years of service. Joining the quarter century club because of how long people stick around the company due to growth and opportunity. Learn more about how Fairbanks Morse is committed to delivering power where it is needed most in the world by visiting www.fairbanksmorse.com.
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
EnPro Industries and companies are Equal Opportunity Employers.