Purpose of the Technician II, Business Installation Services Position: Provide on-site network technical support for the company’s customers. Communicate maintenance and installation activities that may impact services provided. Responsible to detect, act on, track and resolve problems. Provide expertise responding to questions, perform routine diagnostics/analysis to resolve most inquiries and routing more complex issues to higher level of support.
Essential Duties for this position:
- Installs and tests new GCI services to commercial customers, and reconfiguration of customer networks.
- Cable, telephony, and IP network installation, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Utilizes GCI software systems to retrieve and update tickets for customer generated work orders.
- Customer service and coordination of escalation to management. Follow up on service issues to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Troubleshoots problems and repairs, providing explanation / support as necessary to operator / customer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to be flexible in a changing environment.
- Ability to think independently and follow troubleshooting diagnostics guidelines and the ability to read and comprehend technical information to resolve technical problems in a timely manner.
- Communications skills: Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate technical information clearly and concisely in written and electronic follow-up, work orders and route sheets; verbally communicate technical information in an effective manner appropriate with multiple levels of understanding.
- Interpersonal skills: ability to establish and maintain a positive rapport with customers when confirming appointments, explaining status of service/equipment and work progress and maintain a positive professional attitude in the workplace with high expectations for quality of workmanship.
- Demonstrated collaborative skills among a variety of personalities on a single team.
- Working knowledge and operating skills in Microsoft Windows and Software.
- Basic understanding of networking, telecommunications and telephony terminology and topology.
- Experience in structured cabling, network or telephony systems preferred.
Knowledge of cabling / punch schemes.
- Knowledge of basic construction practices and terms.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of departmental and systems information, personnel and customer account information.
Experience required for the Technician II, Business Installation Services position:
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in the communications industry, electrical or low voltage installation and/or networking.
- Minimum of one year experience in telephony or networking environment required.
- Experience in a telecommunications field service environment valued.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates Degree in electronics, telecommunications trade school, or equivalent training required.
- OR, a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to safely work from a ladder or other ANSI approved device providing access from floor to installation heights; good balance required. Must be able to carry 50 lbs or more; incidental lifting of up to 50 (only 1 or 2 time per day); includes carrying below shoulder level and walking with a load using trained lifting techniques. Must have the ability to operate basic hand tools. Work involves extensive daily computer operation, often requiring many hours at a time sitting, viewing a computer screen, and manipulating a keyboard. Visual acuity to distinguish slight variations of color coding of cabling and signage. Bilateral hearing ability (with or without personal hearing amplification) to maintain good verbal communication in work areas that may have some moderate background noise. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Must be able to stand for periods of up to eight hours at a time. Must have sufficient hand dexterity to terminate low voltage cabling
Working Conditions: Work is performed during a 40-hour workweek, and is primarily conducted in an office environment at customers’ business locations throughout Anchorage and across Alaska. Work may require additional hours to meet project goals or deadlines. Position may be subject to a rotational work schedule, flexible shifts, on call schedules and will require client site travel. Regular travel to outlying customer locations within the State of Alaska will be required. At times extended trips greater than seven days may be required. Flexibility to adjust to a changing environment.
GCI and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
GCI is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.