Essential Duties of Network Administrator Technician:
Installs, configures, and supports the company’s local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and internet systems, or a segment of a network system.
Monitors network to ensure network availability to all system users and may perform necessary maintenance to support network availability.
Responsible for direct customer communication and Tier I and Tier II escalation support.
May monitor and test site performance to ensure sites operate correctly and without interruption.
Supports in-network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
- Administer / perform network security measures.\Provide event tracking, notification, simple remediation, and escalation support to a higher-level network administrator technician. Notifies technical support groups and assists with maintaining status of network systems.
Provide daily summary report of events and system documentation updates. Audits and updates network documentation.
This is a mid-level position for the network or server system administrator. Must have intermediate understanding of telecommunications technologies; be able to provide assistance to more senior level technicians. Perform routine assignments as directed under moderate supervision, with some latitude for independent judgment, receiving assistance in more complex assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledgeable in LAN/WAN technologies, internet, and server platforms.
Overall understanding of the functions of internet such as DNS, DHCP, routing, servers, clients, browsers, and email.
Proven knowledge of server software.
Excellent verbal / written communications skills and the ability to explain and document technical activities.
Ability to track and document multiple network events accurately.
Ability to interact successfully with a wide variety of business, operating, and technical staff.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform sedentary work; physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions; incidental lifting without assistance of up to 50 lbs (only 1 to 2 times per day); includes caring below shoulder level and walking with load using trained lifting techniques.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an open-spaced office environment with minimal privacy. Work schedule is 40 hour workweek and position requires flexibility in hours, weekend and holiday work, after hour on-call duties and occasional travel to client site.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
- Minimum two years of technical support experience in a relevant field. Telecommunications experience highly valued.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science or related field required; OR a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued
- (i.e., Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), HDI, Microsoft, ITIL, CompTIA, Juniper, etc.)
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.