*** This is a day shift position ***
Purpose of the Technician II, TAC Position: Technical position to provide on-shift surveillance, management, advanced-level troubleshooting response and trouble resolution of the company’s Wireless Radio Access Network (RAN) equipment and/or Core Transport Network in order to provide the highest level of network availability by restoring service and minimizing call out of field technicians.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Monitor the network and associated network elements; investigating and determining the cause of network events and alarms.
- Perform network troubleshooting and corrective maintenance.
- Respond to and isolate outages, working with the appropriate technical groups to restore service. Initiate disaster recovery actions as required.
- Provide on-the-job technical training and oversight to junior technicians.
- Coaching and mentoring junior technicians using network events as teaching tools.
- Interact with the company’s customers, internal employees and vendors in a professional manner to resolve issues at the lowest level and as timely as possible.
- Compile and submit notifications and reports on network status and activity.
- Initiate notifications to management as determined by protocol.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure the proper operation and maintenance of the company network.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills required.
- Knowledge of DOS/Windows/UNIX/Open view and associated applications.
- Must have the ability to train and provide technical guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Superior interpersonal and professional skills; able to handle stress when working with customer and/or other employees issues with diplomacy, tact and concern.
- Must have a high degree of self-initiative and be able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks with independent decision-making.
Additional Job Requirements: Mid-level technical position to provide on-shift surveillance, management, advanced-level troubleshooting response and trouble resolution. Must have a basic understanding of telecommunications, and ability to follow documented procedures.
With a Focus in Technical Communications:
- Broad based working knowledge of interdepartmental and external communication and coordination required.
- Experience in drafting multi-focused technical reports for both internal management and external customer distribution preferred.
- Ability to work with peers and senior-level technicians to accurately communicate status of GCI’s network assets to stakeholders, including physical facilities, network devices, and current service level availabilities during critical outages and maintenance events.
- Demonstrate an ability to receive and classify work requests via email, tickets, and/or phone calls and assign tasks on a priority basis to team members of various technical abilities and assignments.
- Ability to develop, test, and enrich new processes and procedures; periodically assessing for accuracy and optimization to align with current departmental goals and overlying company mission.
- Knowledge of regulatory agencies and requirements around telecommunication incidents such as RCA, FCC, FAA, NORS, and PSAPs preferred.
- Knowledge of ITIL framework; specifically Change Management, Service Validation and Testing, and Incident Management.
With a Focus in Wireless Radio Access Network (RAN):
- Broad based working knowledge of and ability to maintain cellular systems, transmission facilities, and equipment typically found in a Mobile Telephone Switching Office and Wireless Radio Access Network.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Wireless RF concepts such as UMTS/HSPA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, CDMA/EVDO and LTE preferred.
- Experience with Ericsson and Nortel Wireless Networks preferred.
- Understanding of RF propagation principles and cellular theory preferred.
- Knowledgeable of transmission facilities including the test, turn up, and troubleshooting of T- 1 and Ethernet circuits required.
- With a Focus in Satellite/Microwave RF transmission (RF):
- Broad based working knowledge of and ability to maintain satellite modems, microwave radios, PCS equipment, MMDS equipment and LMDS equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of RF transmission concepts of multiple access, duplexing and communications protocols.
- Experience operating, maintaining or installing satellite, microwave or other wireless networks to include; programming, configuring and troubleshooting preferred.
- Understanding of RF transmission principles used in microwave or satellite communications preferred.
- FCC license is desired.
With a Focus in Core Transport Network (CORE):
- Broad based working knowledge of and ability to maintain complex voice, SONET and IP transport, cable and data networking systems and standards.
- Network troubleshooting and Corrective Maintenance. Respond to circuit and facility outages within GCI’s network. Isolate outages and work with appropriate technical groups to restore service.
- Experience in a wide variety of telecommunications networks to include: Force 10/Turin, Cisco ONS, ALU, Calix GPON, BTI, TYCO NEC, Tellabs, ECI, Juniper, and ADTRAN equipment.
- Comprehensive understanding of standard operations concepts such as availability, redundancy, reliability and testing.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems.
- Diagnosis of basic routing problems.
- Knowledge of IP address nomenclature and maning, IP protocols, IP routing, router and switch components and facilities, Communication facilities (fiber, cable, RF, PSTN, T1, ISDN, DDS, etc.) and Communication equipment (CSUs, modems, xDSL, wiring frames, cabling, etc.)
Requirements of the Technician II, TAC position:
- Minimum of two years of increasing responsibility and experience in a telecommunications or central office environment is required.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree in engineering, computer science, electronics technology, telecommunications or a related field required.
- A combination of education and/or experience sufficient to perform the duties may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis in addition to the minimum years’ experience required above.
Physical Requirements: This is an Office Position but does require occasional work with other groups. Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and work in cramped spaces and at heights. Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment and identify color-coding. Ability to tolerate temperature and weather extremes (fumes and odors, dust, low light conditions.) Strength and coordination sufficient to perform job duties.
Working Conditions: Work is normally performed in an office environment with long periods of computer work. Shift work, overtime and travel is required. Position is subject to dealing with difficult people and situations. Occasional exposure to Inside/outside work; noise; standing; hot/cold temperatures; vibration; cramped quarters.
GCI and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be required to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Special Conditions: Required to participate in a rotational schedule working at the TAC; responsibility will include training of lower level technicians; troubleshooting complex customer issues using any and all required skills to perform the necessary duties; and consulting with employees, other departments, and/or management to determine root cause of an incident, outage or failure of services and corrective actions.
Background /Security Conditions: Based on the position’s business needs, background and security checks are subject to Level 1 background checks that may include but are not limited to: review of an individual’s criminal history; credit check, and review of DMV records. Job candidates may also need to comply with additional State of AK contract requirements. GCI will ensure that background checks are conducted in compliance with all applicable federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADAAA).
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must maintain and possess a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
GCI is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.