Purpose of the Technician III, Business Installation Services Position: Provide on-site network technical support for the company’s customers. Communicate maintenance and installation activities that may impact services provided. Responsible to detect, act on, track and resolve problems. Provide expertise responding to questions, perform routine diagnostics/analysis to resolve most inquiries and routing more complex issues to higher level of support.
Essential Duties for this position:
- Installs and tests new GCI services to business customers, and reconfiguration of customer networks.
- Cable, telephony, and IP network installation, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Utilizes GCI software systems to retrieve and update tickets for customer generated work orders.
- Customer service and coordination of escalation to management.
- Follow up on service issues to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Troubleshoots problems and repairs, providing explanation / support as necessary to operator / customer.
- Additional Job Requirements: Under minimal supervision, this mid-level position must have a comprehensive understanding of telecommunications, installation, modifications, and test procedures.
- Ability to execute complex equipment installation, test and turn up with minimal supervision.
- Provides assistance to higher level technicians, and mentors less experienced technicians with day-to-day operations.
- Provides technical support for internal and external customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experienced with basic small business telephony networks, including VoIP.
- Experience with Demarc extensions at customer premise.
Testing and installation of complex circuits to include T-1, PRI/ BRI, and ethernet.
- Working knowledge of commercial phone systems; maintenance and configuration.
- Ability to think independently to troubleshoot and maintain commercial networks.
- Familiarity with Metasolv and Remedy systems desired.
- Knowledge of Cisco IP, Allworx telephony, and Wi-Fi systems desired.
- Utilize advanced diagnostic tools to resolve problems with servers, network connections, set-up and configuration, including T-1, CAT5/6, Coax, fiber optic, and wireless.
- Ability to evaluate, install, set up and test new hardware, software and operating systems; effectively utilize diagnostic tools, repair hardware and document devices.
- Analytical skills – ability to review, analyze, test and make recommendations for new systems, technology and policies; proven problem solving skills with the ability to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve user’s problems.
- Communication skills - excellent active listening skills with ability to explain / relay technical information at various degrees of complexity, verbally (telephonically and in person) and in writing (documentation, drawings, policies, training outlines, etc.), to other employees and customers with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Provide technical leadership, working effectively with technical and non-technical staff and customers to resolve problems, provide training, and build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must have the ability to lead other members of a team on a customer site, including application of all company safety and risk management best practices, policies and procedures.
- Must be able to interact, sometimes remotely, on a high level with engineers, technicians, supervision and management.
- Must be able to log into hardware using a laptop or other portable device.
- Maintains a positive professional attitude in the workplace.
- High expectations for quality of workmanship.
- Working knowledge and operating skills in Microsoft Office Applications to include Word, Excel and Visio.
Experience required for the Technician III, Business Installation Services position:
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in the communications industry, electrical or low voltage installation and/or networking.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in telephony or networking environment required.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates Degree in electronics, telecommunications trade school, or equivalent training required.
- OR, a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to safely work from a ladder or other ANSI approved device providing access from floor to installation heights; good balance required. Must be able to carry 50 lbs or more; incidental lifting of up to 50 (only 1 or 2 time per day); includes carrying below shoulder level and walking with a load using trained lifting techniques. Must have the ability to operate basic hand tools. Work involves extensive daily computer operation, often requiring many hours at a time sitting, viewing a computer screen, and manipulating a keyboard. Visual acuity to distinguish slight variations of color coding of cabling and signage. Bilateral hearing ability (with or without personal hearing amplification) to maintain good verbal communication in work areas that may have some moderate background noise. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Must be able to stand for periods of up to eight hours at a time. Must have sufficient hand dexterity to terminate low voltage cabling
Working Conditions: Work is performed during a 40-hour workweek, and is primarily conducted in an office environment at customers’ business locations throughout Anchorage and across Alaska. Work may require additional hours to meet project goals or deadlines. Position may be subject to a rotational work schedule, flexible shifts, on call schedules and will require client site travel. Regular travel to outlying customer locations within the State of Alaska will be required. At times extended trips greater than seven days may be required. Flexibility to adjust to a changing environment.
GCI and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
GCI is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.