Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented identities to apply.
Technician III - Food Processing and Engineering Program
Department of Food Science
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented identities to apply.
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) is a pioneer of purpose-driven science and home to Cornell University’s second largest population of students, faculty and staff. We work across disciplines to tackle the challenges of our time through world-renowned research, education and outreach. The questions we probe and the answers we seek focus on three overlapping concerns: natural and human systems; food, energy and environmental resources; and social, physical and economic well-being. CALS is fundamentally invested in improving the lives of people, their environments and their communities both in New York state and around the world.
The Food processing and engineering program in the Department of Food Science is aimed at creating novel products and processes for the production and manufacture of safe and quality food products. Utilization of new processing technologies is of high interest in the research program in Dr. Rizvi’s lab.
We are searching for a dynamic individual to work under very general supervision, provide research support to food processing and engineering using high pressure supercritical fluids, cryogenics and extrusion systems. Duties include buying of ingredients, mixing of formulations, setting and operating high pressure systems, evaluation of product quality using instrumental analysis. Provide instruction, training and supervision to new employees, graduate and undergraduate students when directed by supervisor. Provide support to visiting scientists and outside clients as needed and approved by supervisor. Assist in overall lab maintenance by keeping lab clean and orderly, ordering lab supplies, cleaning lab ware and preparing chemical reagents.
This is a one-year term appointment with possibility of extension, based on funding and performance.
- College degree in Engineering, Food Science, Chemistry or other related field and up to 2 years relevant experience or equivalent combination
- Experience in process design, collection of data and preparation of summaries and final reports.
- Ability to keep the equipment, materials, and lab organized.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact with technical personnel.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Must be personable, flexible, possess excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and take pride in their work.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, faculty, outside clientele and staff.
- Proficiency in basic computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel etc.).
- Ability to lift 20-50 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally work irregular hours.
- Ability to create an inclusive, high-quality and respectful work environment both in a team setting and independently to achieve departmental and university goals.
- Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted New York State driver’s license and be approved to drive on Cornell business.
- B.S. degree or other formal training program of four years or equivalent in Engineering, Food Science, Chemistry or other related fields.
- Previous experience with high pressure systems, process design and development, 3-D printing and in routine testing of mechanical properties of products is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols and guidelines. Knowledge of Cornell policies and procedures.
- Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Relocation assistance will not be provided for this position.
University Job Title:Technician III
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Michele Cowen
Number of Openings:1
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by “dragging and dropping” them into the dropbox or by using the “upload” icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.