VCA West Los Angeles is seeking a full-time Technician Manager to join our dynamic AAHA-Accredited, multi-doctor, 24-hour emergency/specialty practice in Los Angeles, California.
POSITION TITLE: Technician Manager
POSITION REPORTS TO: Hospital Technician Director
The Technician Manager is a member of the hospital leadership team and will assist in planning, policy formulation, and administrative decision making for the technicians, technician assistants and kennel assistants. This position is responsible for the management of patient and client care as well as working to enhance the competency, autonomy, and accountability of the nursing team. Must work in a professional manner with all personnel in varied work situations and possess the ability to oversee large groups of nurses while maintaining a global view and how the departments fit in the large picture of the hospital. This position includes the responsibility of assuming a leadership role in all areas of the hospital and work to establish and achieve goals for VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Must possess knowledge of veterinary nursing principles, methods and procedures; veterinary medical terminology and disease processes; hospital protocols; a wide variety of medical equipment and understanding of their use; principals of personnel management and supervision; and effective methods of training, counseling, and coaching.
Must possess skills in veterinary emergency and critical care nursing; organization and planning; verbal, written, and presentation communication skills; veterinary leadership, management and supervision; and problem solving.
- Manage veterinary technical support staff utilizing a positive and collaborative team-oriented approach
- Prepare and maintain the staffing schedule and assist in filling open shifts with relief and full time staff as needed
- Monitor and coordinate daily workflow and adjust staffing as needed for vacation coverage, CE, illness and slow production days
- Maintain and report the status of staff morale and facilitate direct communication with appropriate parties to address any issues
- Function as a mentor to staff by providing guidance with developing interpersonal skills while working in an ever-evolving environment
- Perform annual performance reviews for all team members
- Providing small performance based rewards for deserving team members within a budget set by hospital administration
- Meet with the hospital leadership team at least weekly to assess needs of the department and to implement policies, procedures and standards of care
- Participate in the planning of and attending necessary doctor, management, and department meetings as needed
- Participate in training and orientation of specialty department technical staff and assist technicians in all areas of the hospital
- To hold staff accountable for all aspects of their job duties including disciplinary action when necessary
- To assist in writing protocols and oversee implementation of the standards of nursing care in the hospital
- Assess the hospital’s staffing needs and schedule employees to ensure optimum staffing levels for all shifts
- Help maintain hospital inventory at ideal levels
- In conjunction with the Hospital Technician Director, identifies and develops methods of improving the hospital’s financial and operating efficiency
- Assist with the development of the hospital’s annual operating budget
- Leads staff in maintaining professional relationships with the doctors, technicians, front office and animal care staff
- Acts as a resource to staff to troubleshoot or problem solve medical issues ensuring the highest quality of care for all hospitalized patients
- Assist in interview and hiring process of prospective associates
- To handle all animals humanely, properly, with compassion
- To always treat people and animals with respect; to contribute to effective teamwork, promote interdepartmental cooperation and practice direct communication
- To follow established procedures governing safe work practices including wearing protective clothing or equipment when necessary
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or certificate from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program required
- Current RVT in CA or ability to transfer license to CA
- At least five (5) years of work experience as a Veterinary Nursing Professional in an ER/ICU or Specialty Hospital and one to two years of veterinary technician management experience
- Affection for animals and concern for their welfare
- Experience in caring for and handling animals in a safe, effective and humane manner
- Ability to cover varied work assignments and schedules depending on hospital and department needs
- Ability to communicate in a professional, pleasant, respectful and courteous manner at all times
- Maturity, good judgment and professional personal appearance
SKILLS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to lift and move objects and animals weighing up to 40 pounds for short distances and to humanely restrain an animal when necessary.
- Proficiency in core ER/ICU veterinary technician job skills including but not limited to emergency care techniques, critical patient care and monitoring, anesthesia, laboratory and pharmacy duties, radiographic techniques, and calculations
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
- Ability to communicate and explain complicated medical concepts in a clear and professional manner to clients, co-workers and doctors
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and paid vacation/sick days, 401(k), generous employee pet discounts and more!
The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, change in personnel, workload, or technical development).
Employment Type: Full Time