A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Working in line with Strategy and Transformation strategic needs, to drive new openings for collaboration with academic institutions and businesses in the Life Science space, based on the West Coast of the US. The role will encompass scouting and evaluation of external opportunities for bioprocessing, biosensing and digitalization as well as in adjacent scientific fields.
Integrated within the Innovation Hub unit of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in Silicon Valley and supporting the local team with expertise in Life Science industry as well strategies.
INTERNAL WITHIN Merck:
- Innovation Hub unit in Shanghai, China, and Innovation Center, Darmstadt, Germany
- MilliporeSIGMA, EMD Healthcare, EMD Performance Materials
- All areas of Strategy and Transformation incl. New Business Builder (NBB), Chief Digital Office (CDA) and M Ventures
- Merck Global Technology Scouting Network
- Merck Group Functions incl. Business Technology (BT)
EXTERNAL TO Merck:
- Centers of excellence for scientific research
- Key Thought Leaders from scientific, research, and industrial settings
- Open innovation/pre-competitive R&D centers
- JV companies/bio-incubators
- Biotechnology, biopharmaceutical and new materials companies
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES (In order of importance and time spent; should include 80% of responsibilities)
Overall Goal is to tap into the ecosystem of the Silicon Valley to support business within and beyond the Merck sectors by fostering innovation.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key opinion leaders, scientists, innovators and entrepreneurs in both academic and business settings. The main geographic area of focus is the US West Coast.
- Develop models and identify opportunities for new open innovation partnerships. Work with the companys Strategy and Transformation and New Business Builder groups to set strategic priorities and scope.
- Scope is aligned with strategic Innovation Fields and in close alignment with Global Business Development.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the companys competitive landscape in Life Science and Material Science.
- Scout for new opportunities between and beyond the Life Science, Healthcare and Performance Materials sectors of Merck KGaA.
- Work closely with company Sectors and Innovation Centers in Darmstadt, Germany, and Shanghai, China, to support the sourcing, evaluation, and execution of external agreements for partnerships and technology in-licensing.
- Secure successful execution of partnerships all the way to achieving the envisioned goals.
- Work closely with peers in the sectors and the Innovation Centers in Germany and China to further shape the companys global external innovation model and advance the Silicon Valley Innovation Hub.
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- PhD and/or MD
- Fluent in English.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Has 5-10 years of relevant experience
- Has built a local (Bay Area and surrounding regions) network of scientists, key opinion leaders, investors and entrepreneurs active in the fields of life science, biopharmaceuticals, or material science.
- A minimum of 5 years of R&D or investment experience in the relevant fields.
- Broad knowledge of life science is required; experience in food- or bioprocessing industry is desired
- Experience and knowledge in AI & machine learning is a plus.
- Has experience in identifying, evaluating and executing external partnerships and has a good understanding of business needs.
- Basic knowledge in business development.
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong social and networking skills
- Creative thinker with strong ability to live in the world of possibility .
- Strong team player with a can do mentality
- Strong data and information analysis skills
- Self-motivated and pro-active
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 30% of time
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.