Volt | Telecommunications Engineer | Grant County, WA
We are seeking an individual to fill a position as a Telecommunications Engineer with a company local to Grant County, WA.
Telecommunications Engineer – Fiber Optics and IP Networking
Under general supervision, this position leads and/or supports all aspects of the communications infrastructure, systems, and services life-cycle at Grant PUD including: vision, architecture, design, sourcing, implementation and ongoing support. This role has key responsibilities for ensuring secure, resilient and cost-effective operation of fiber optic and IP communication systems, including the open access broadband fiber infrastructure and services, IP voice network, business wired and wireless networks, mobile data, SCADA, SONET, MPLS, etc.
Essential Functions: -- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Designs, implements and supports various systems across the utility and departments including IP phones, IP network, SONET, MPLS, and video conferencing systems.
- Provides technical support for EMS and IP SCADA networks, broadband fiber optic system, and other telecom engineering stakeholders.
- Researches the telecommunications needs of the utility, recommends potential solutions, and architects the design and implementation of complex telecommunication systems.
- Solicits bids for project work and equipment, writes bid documents, and ensures the telecommunication services satisfy the needs of the utility.
- Ensure telecommunications services, systems, components, processes and procedures comply with and are aligned to policies, standards and enterprise technology direction.
- Understands, develops and maintains controls and processes in alignment with NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) regulatory guidance.
- Maintains accurate records within the telecommunications and fiber optic department to facilitate accurate cost allocations and correct budget spending.
- Provides on-call support - after hours / weekends as required.
- Actively participate in all aspects of our safety program, including but not limited to:
- Following all safety policies and procedures;
- Alerting supervisors and coworkers to unsafe or hazardous working conditions;
- Reporting any safety incidents or close calls within 24 hours to your supervisor; and
- Accepting feedback from supervisors and coworkers regarding your own safety performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications, Computer Science or related field.
- Five (5) + years of fiber optic and telecommunications engineering required.
- Technical telecommunications and security certifications highly desired (e.g., CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, CCDE, CompTIA Security+, CISSP, etc.).
Knowledge and Skills:
Knowledge/Skills of – all OSI Model layers, TCP/IP and related services (e.g., DNS, DHCP, etc.), Cisco hierarchical internetworking model, communications protocols and standards; working knowledge of SCADA, SONET, IP routing and switching, MPLS, multicast, OSPF, EIGRP, modem, radio systems and fiber optics (e.g., DWDM), PON; fiber optic construction standards and practices; project management; security protocols and procedures; general knowledge of personal computer hardware and operating systems; change control process, configuration management, deployment automation, ITIL.
A valid State driver’s license is required. Occasional travel to other Grant PUD locations required.
Please note the following:
- This is a W2 only position.
- Direct inquiries only.
- No 3rd party submittals please.
- This position is not available for Corp-to-Corp.
- This position is not available for Associate Vendors.
Volt offers a candidate referral bonus, please inquire for more details. (Conditions and restrictions apply)
Volt is an Equal Opportunity Employer.