Responsible for assisting with day to day museum functions as well as acting as museum docent when open to the public. The role will assist with activities, events and services scheduled at the Heritage Crossing facilities. Also, responsible for performing light manual tasks, customer service, clerical duties and other duties as assigned.
Target Hiring Range: $12.00/hr - $14.70/hr
- Acts as museum docent when open to the public (Saturdays 10 am-2 pm).
- Load and organize materials to be accessioned.
- Provide assistance to patrons in person and over the phone regarding programs, schedules, Garland’s history and heritage and other related information.
- Problem resolution in regards to records, research, public requests or other related requests.
- Assist with group visits and school field trips to Landmark Museum and Heritage Crossing facilities.
- Assist Landmark Society and Heritage Crossing to research and record the addition of new items.
- Keep track of museum metrics on attendance.
- Move materials, furniture, shelving and equipment, as needed.
- Ensure the continuous maintenance of email and mailing lists.
- May perform various pick-up, delivery jobs and errands in personal vehicle.
- Assist in control of equipment and supplies.
- Enforce and maintain City and Departmental policies as needed.
- Interpret and relate departmental rules and policies.
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
1 year experience in general customer service
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Some experience in a museum environment or historical education preferred but not required
- Knowledge about Garland’s heritage and general City of Garland knowledge preferred but not required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills and professionalism when interacting with visitors, staff and volunteers
- Possesses good work habits and is extremely dependable
- Experience in research
- Detail oriented
- Skill in effective oral and written communications
- Skill in resolving patron complaints and concerns
- Proficient skill with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)
- Skill to operate a computer keyboard to enter and retrieve museum archive and accession information
- Ability to understand and implement oral and written directions
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with vendors, fellow employees, citizens and volunteers
- Ability to drive a vehicle
- Ability to file accurately by alphabet and numbers
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
The incumbent works in an event center environment; frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Occasional outside work and other physical labor such as standing, walking, bending/stooping, kneeling, crawling through confined spaces, climbing a 20 foot ladder and lifting or carrying a maximum of 50 lbs.
Shift requires a minimum of 12 hours per week with varying hours, as needed to support operations. Hours include 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays.