Provides information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease by conducting medical laboratory tests, procedures, experiments, and analyses following established accreditation guidelines and quality control standards.
- Determines normal and abnormal components of body fluids by conducting chemical analyses of blood, urine, spinal fluids, and gastric juices.
- Analyzes blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using microscopic techniques and procedures.
- Prepares blood, plasma, and platelets for transfusions by conducting blood group, type, and compatibility tests.
- Ensures operation of analyzers, spectrophotometers, colorimeters, flame photometers, and other laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides medical technology information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares reports of technological findings by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Works in compliance with all established QA/QI standards.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment and protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control, hazardous waste and other policies and protocols.
- Recognizes problems, identifies the cause and implements solutions where appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as required and directed.
- 2+ Years of Experience - Required
- ASCP - Required
- BLS (AHA or Red Cross) - Required
- Travel - Preferred
- Blood Bank and Chemistry - Required