The Territory Manager (TM) role consists of an individual who will build client relationships and drive measurable sales results through outstanding program execution and people leadership in assigned geography. The TM is responsible for training and coaching a team of remote area managers (peer coaches) and merchandisers. The TM will also need to maintain a high level of communication through email, phone, and personal contact with their assigned Territory Manager and Merchandising Team. Other duties will include but are not limited to people development, succession planning, budget management, owner of measurable metrics for geography, manage team’s audit review program, meets and exceeds identified targets in sales, profits and service. The ideal candidate should be able to effectively lead and build remote work teams with excellent communication and organizational skills. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, quick learner, with a strong attention to detail, works well in independent situations, and has the ability to build relationships with business partners and their remote team and our clients/vendors.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide direct management, leadership, guidance and problem solving direction to remote workforce of Area Managers (Peer Coaches) and Merchandisers in assigned geography to execute effectively and efficiently in the field.
- Collaborate with Regional Leadership on strategic initiatives related to sales growth, store coverage, retail projects and communicate to assigned retail team
- Travels within assigned geography to address areas of opportunity that impact retail business
- Manage and analysis store routing coverage, assignments, staffing and special projects in assigned geography to ensure efficiencies and full store coverage is aligned with goals and budgets outlined for assigned geography.
- Review and analyze daily reporting related to Territory Performance (Service History, Overdue Service Report, Qlikview) and develop plan to address opportunities
- Review and approve all expenses and wages (i.e. payroll, mileage and overtime) for Field Personnel in assigned geography.
- Engage and conduct weekly business reviews with Area Managers (Peer Coaches) and Merchandisers to discuss current and future departmental and company initiatives and priorities of the areas, and employee appreciation.
- Develop people through training as well as direct organizational and team development initiatives using training and performance management tools to include but not limited to: performance reviews, in-store assessments, individual employee development plans, training plans and succession planning documentation.
- Provide robust and compliant training and support to Area Managers (Peer Coaches) to ensure they are providing proper training to Merchandisers.
- Timely completion of all administrative duties and reporting.
- Provide clear and effective communication and direction to direct reports; outlining expectations and duties.
- Ensure employees in assigned geography are compliant with all company policies, standards, priorities and store opportunities
- Manage the hiring process in assigned geography as the Hiring Manager; including but not limited to; reviewing resumes/applications of qualified candidates, conducting in-person and video-conferencing interviews and overall determining the best qualified candidates for hire into open positions in assigned geography.
- Manage and track the completion of the 30/60/90 day Training Plan and all 3rd Party Projects and mPlans for assigned geography of responsibility. Ensures 90-day training plan is completed and proper forms are submitted for documentation.
- Engage and drive corrective action and improvement plans within assigned geography.
- Partner with Regional Operations Manager for terminations within assigned geography
- Understand and demonstrate safe work practices at all times to ensure a safe work environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work independently to meet stated objectives
- Strong leadership skills: Problem-solving, Data Analysis, Planning, Time Management, Priority Setting, Coaching, Counseling, Quality Decision Making, and Delegation
- Proven Team Builder
- Strong Business Acumen and Financial Analysis skills with a strong ability to achieve results
- Excellent written communication and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and web-browsers
- Ability to travel up to approximately 50%
Experience and Credentials
- High School Diploma or GED or equivalent experience required
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college, university, or technical school; or a minimum of four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred
- 5 or more years’ experience in retail management
- Knowledge of Consumer Product Goods Industry
- 1-3 years successfully managing retail merchandisers, P&L, budgeting and forecasting and managing client expectations either personally or through a team
- Proven track record of success
Retail Store Manager / Supervisor