JOIN THE TEAM THAT’S POWERING PROGRESS
Building cities. Driving commerce. Saving lives. For over 100 years, Allison Transmission has powered the vehicles and technology that move our world forward.
What powers us? Our employees. From the first person hired by James Allison in 1915 to the thousands across the globe who work for Allison today, we’re driving progress everywhere because we employ top talent worldwide.
This is an exciting opportunity in Auburn Hills, MI for a Test Engineer.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin driving your career forward!
Allison Transmission, the world's largest manufacturer of fully automatic transmissions for medium-and heavy-duty commercial vehicles, is seeking to fill a Test Engineer position within its growing Engineering team. An engineer in this position will be a key contributor in planning, managing, developing and oversight of the execution of transmission, powertrain, and electric propulsion level testing. Work involves testing/troubleshooting various transmission components, electric axle systems, controls, and oil flow issues. This person will be responsible for configuring test units, data collection & analysis, test reports and working closely on a daily basis as an interface between Product Engineers and Test Technicians. The successful candidate must be self-directed and capable of trade-off decision making to deliver high quality test results on time and within budget, and maintain compliance with Allison processes and procedures. As part of this, they will work closely with internal business partners to manage test programs. The role will provide opportunity for hands-on involvement with Allison products, industrial test equipment, test operating controls systems, and powertrain systems including high horsepower engines, input and output dynamometers, transmissions, electric axle systems, drivelines, wheel ends (standard and planetary), heat exchangers, and cooling systems. Significant mechanical content exists. This person will share knowledge, assist and train other engineers by a team approach in all projects.
- Basic understanding of transmission, powertrain and electric propulsion systems.
- Utilization of a systems engineering approach to design, develop, implement, and execute reliable, repeatable testing in support of business needs and timing.
- Contribute to department continuous improvement activities to increase testing efficiency, reduce cost, and drive high levels of quality.
- Assumes appropriate responsibilities as a member of the assigned product development teams
- Participates in planning and/or status meetings.
- Promotes teamwork on all work related assignments.
- Maintains willingness to share professional knowledge and experience with teammates.
- Plans, manages, and oversees the execution of product tests.
- Creating, managing, and delivering multiple projects on time and to budget.
- Assures facilities and support areas are informed, equipped, and prepared to match the flow of test needs.
- Issues the appropriate instructional documents (work requests) as required to initiate and support the test flow.
- Assists in gathering, and performs analysis of test data to ensure its validity.
- Has basic understanding of computer programming to modify durability test cycles.
- Documents test events/results through Test Reports, log entries and database entries as appropriate.
- Prepares, or assists in preparation of program bids or requests for cost estimates.
- Observes applicable procedures and practices as delineated in Test Operations Manual, PE Procedures, and Standard Procedures.
- Manages, monitors, and assists in assembly process of test units and disposition of parts.
- Working with a high level of independent judgment and decision-making.
- Adheres to and strives to improve the engineering development process.
- Establishes and updates best practices and standardized testing procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree or equivalent experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 3 years of Mechanical/Electrical Engineering experience
- Proficient in oral and written business communication
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Ability to set and meet goals for all deliverables
- Basic mechanical aptitude
- Proficiency with computer operations, including Microsoft Office tools
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings required
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in laboratory test environment.
- Basic knowledge of automatic transmission operation, clutches, controls (both hydraulic and electrical), hydraulics, gears, electric machines, and hybrid and electrified propulsion systems desired but not required.
- Basic understanding of computer programming in order to write & modify test cycles and support data analysis efforts.
- Troubleshooting experience in electronic controls, mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems preferred.
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran requiring assistance and/or reasonable accommodations reviewing any of the careers information, please contact us at 317-242-5000.
Auburn Hills, MI