At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Your mission at Northwestern Mutual
What’s the role?
As a technical, hands-on Test Engineering Lead/Manager for desktop, web and modern stack applications, your job is to guide (and participate) in the manual and automation testing of our modern systems that may include: Mobile, Big Box, Web, Unix and Windows applications. These projects are integrated over various systems and include: modernization of our Semi-Monthly batch process, annuity calculation for commissions, sales reporting and commissions daily along with big box systems for managing financial representative’s credentials and data.
You will be tasked as a quality advocate and will be responsible for driving the quality processes and standards that have been established by the Test Engineering group. You will be reporting directly to the Director of Test Engineering and lead a team with an already-established testing process that you are expected to evolve/grow as you build out your team. Your role will be that of a “full-stack” Test Engineering Manager - a strong, passionate leader of people who is a skilled exploratory tester with previous experience writing automation or at least a deep understanding of how it can be effectively implemented. Your projects will center around the implementation of specialized, proprietary systems that support the application engineering and test engineering disciplines.
Your general milestones for the first year are the followin
- Within the first month, be able to jump head-first into an ongoing project and ask the appropriate questions / do the appropriate research to amend/construct a presentable testing strategy for up to 3 ongoing projects. Become an active individual contributor to the overall project's initiatives which includes Java/Spring for application development, gitlab for source code control, gitlab ci for continuous integration/continuous delivery and Docker/AWS/Kubernetes for deployment. You will begin writing applicable tests.
- Within two months, present list of process improvements / goals / hiring plans that you plan to implement over the course of next 6 months to a year. For your teams assigned projects you can develop the appropriate tests and mentor junior testers in their trade.
- Within three months, be able to discuss high-level functionality and infrastructure of entire modern stack space within the division. You should understand all basic user flows and how the technology and integration points behind them work.
- Within six months, demonstrate that you have effectively led and provided proper test coverage for all priority projects under your umbrella from inception to delivery.
- Within seven months, demonstrate that you were able to execute on the list of process improvements / goals / hiring plans that you proposed 6 months prior.
- Within twelve months, demonstrate that you have performed the basic testing consultancy functions with minimal supervision and integrate into various development teams to support their adoption of testing best practices. Have become a reliable individual contributor and mentor to the junior staff members as well as a skilled automation tester within the group.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Proven results of delivering and process improvement (with references).
- Proven experience of leading and mentoring teams specific to QA / test engineering.
- Can move quickly and independently. Everyone here is incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and a helping hand, but, you must be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
Education / Professional Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or Associate degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 7+ years professional development experience along with a core focus on quality assurance
- Experience with REST / SOAP services and clients.
- For Java professionals, demonstrable professional experience using things like Spring Framework and JUnit
- Experience writing and debugging multithreaded Java applications.
- Experience with Github or Gitlab for source code management.
- Tons of room for career growth.
- Highly technical and passionate fellow test engineers. We care a lot about what we do and are very active in local meetups and love new ideas.
- VERY competitive compensation package with amazing benefits.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 24880
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Desired
Employment Experience: 3-5 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 09/26/2019