THE CARRIAGE CLUB
KANSAS CITY, MO
THE GENERAL MANAGER OPPORTUNITY AT THE CARRIAGE CLUB
The General Manager (GM) role at The Carriage Club (CC) is a tremendous opportunity for an energetic individual who is highly visible, innovative, passionate about leadership and enhancing The Carriage Club brand. Building strong relationships with members and staff, and seeing this family-friendly club continue to enhance its relevancy and position in its members’ lives by balancing tradition with the wants and needs of the newer members are critical elements of success for the GM.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
ABOUT THE CARRIAGE CLUB AND COMMUNITY
The Carriage Club is a member-owned private club located in the heart of Kansas City, near the Country Club Plaza. The Clubhouse was originally home to the Mission Hills Golf Club - back when one could drink in Missouri, but not quite as easily, in Kansas. With the end of prohibition in Kansas in 1948, Mission Hills Country Club could contemplate moving its clubhouse to Kansas, and subsequently to its current building in 1956.
In 1956, the new club was founded with anticipation of only 50 charter members, but by the time it formally opened on November 3, 1956, it had 500 charter members. The Club took its name from two pairs of elaborately carved German silver lamps that had been used on carriages in Sicily for 150 years. These lamps originally were hung at the main doors of the Carriage Club.
The Carriage Club is one of the Midwest's premier racquet clubs with ten tennis courts (including two clay courts and five courts that are seasonally covered for indoor tennis), two paddle tennis courts, and a pickleball/sport court. CC’s athletic amenities also include ice hockey (with club teams) and a figure skating program. Additionally, Carriage Club members enjoy access to an outstanding fitness and wellness facility, professionally trained instructors, massage therapists, and a wide variety of fitness classes. The beautiful and historic grounds are home to three swimming pools with competitive diving and swimming teams. Four outstanding dining facilities with offerings from the fine dining at The Chophouse and a Chef’s Table in the original clubhouse to the informal Zamboni Bar and Skybox.
Carriage Club’s mission is to provide its members, their families and their guests
outstanding social experiences that emphasize friendship, fun, and goodwill while
enjoying the Club’s premier dining and recreational facilities.
Carriage Club is the premier Racquet, Ice, Swim and Fitness family-oriented club in the Midwest.
We provide superior service to a diverse membership and are an asset to the community.
THE CARRIAGE CLUB BY THE NUMBERS
- There are approximately: 650 members
- Initiation Fee: $10,000
- Annual Dues: $4,800
- Annual Capital Charge: $1,350
- Gross Revenue: $6.8 M
- Food and beverage revenue: $2.6M, 50% ala carte, 50% banquet
- The Club is organized as a 501(c)(7) and is a not for profit corporation
- Average age of members: 52 years and continuing to trend younger
- Board Members: 13 and 1 non-voting ex-officio members, each serving three-year terms, as well as Standing Committees: Executive, Carriage Club College, Entertainment, finance, Fitness, Food & Beverage, House & Grounds, Legal/Risk, Long Range Planning, Pool, Racquet Sports
GENERAL MANAGER - POSITION OVERVIEW
The Board desires a GM who functions in a COO-like fashion, working very closely with the Board of Directors of the Club, and leading an active number of committees. The GM is looked upon as the “face” of The Carriage Club and, in “partnership” with key volunteers, is a primary “visionary” to ensure that CC consistently executes at an exceptionally high level of personalized service. The GM will continue to look to enhance and elevate the overall membership and staff experience.
A key to his/her success is “putting members first,” and recognizing that the foundation of staff support, mentorship, clear direction and “walking the talk” and “being present” in his/her natural and engaging style. Paying attention to the details of finances, maintenance, SOPs, overall member experience, staff culture and other key areas of success is critical. Clearly, outstanding communication skills, especially the demonstrated ability to “listen and respectfully respond” is essential to success at Carriage Club.
- AGMS (2)
- Facilities Manager
- Head Tennis Professional
- Membership & Communications Director
- Understand, embrace, and execute the Board’s vision and strategy. Work in clear “partnership” with the Board, keeping them actively abreast of results, transparency.
- Meet and sincerely interact with and engage as many members as possible, “be present!” Build trust whenever and wherever possible.
- Bring all of the Club’s departments together with a clear focus on the “Carriage Club Team” and the Club’s goals and mission. Get to know the Senior Staff, evaluating their abilities, and aspirations, ensuring that they and their respective teams have clear expectations and accountabilities in place.
- Develop a report to provide the Board with a thoughtful “State of the Club” analysis following ninety (90) days of overview and insight. This document will be part of the ‘roadmap’ to success, staff, plan, budget and other tactics and strategies for short and longer-term goals and should clearly spell out recommendations and opportunities to ensure “first class” delivery of a highly consistent member experience in all areas.
- Work closely with the Facilities Management team to ensure that they are properly staffed and funded.
- Review capital projects currently in the planning process, adding insights and perspectives relative to viability and successful outcomes.
- Being a visible, positive, energized, aspirational leader who understands the dynamics of a family-oriented club.
- Strong leadership and team development experience.
- Superior communication skills, exuding energy and creativity.
- Possessive of a strong record of selecting and developing talent in club senior leadership roles, and helping those departmental leaders continuously develop themselves and their respective staffs in a desire to create a culture of continuous evolution to excellence in execution and delivery.
- An experienced hospitality professional who is member- centric and can create an environment where the staff looks forward to coming to work every day.
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent professional who is a doer and take-charge person and who recognizes the importance of accountability. A problem solver who commands respect through professional interactions and integrity.
- A track record of results in governance/leadership partnership with active Member Boards.
- Naturally outgoing, conversant, respectful, and diplomatic, but able to say “no” when appropriate without alienating members or staff while doing so.
- Skilled in creating and implementing strategic plans; anticipating how the Club continues to evolve is important and being on the forefront of trends in clubs.
- Possess a deep knowledge in active club operations, with especially strong F & B and banquet skills as well as strong financial acumen and use of technology.
- A record of success in a similar quality club or hospitality venue that has a verifiable history of strong member and or guest satisfaction and support with a Passion for maintaining the highest levels of service.
- Possessive of strong organizational skills and an obsession with details necessary to achieve high levels of quality, satisfaction, and outstanding member experiences.
- Effective financial management skills through oversight of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Uses plans and metrics to set goals, measure and report on performance, and make corrections when needed.
- A charismatic individual with a sense of humor and a demeanor that is commensurate with the culture and expectations of a friendly, fun, and supportive membership and team of associates.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years of verifiable, progressive leadership and management experience in an active, private member focused club or a premiere hospitality environment. NOTE: Those current Assistant General Managers or Club Managers at clubs or in the hospitality field, with verifiable records of achievement, will be considered for this role.
- A Degree is highly desirable, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business. In lieu of the degree, substantial private club or hospitality experience will be considered.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred.
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club, along with the typical senior staff benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment with the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary. Address your letter to Henry Bond, Club President, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Carriage Club and the Kansas City area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club if selected.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter The Carriage Club”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Nan Fisher: email@example.com
Lead Search Executive: