Leads work crews in performance of daily work and emergency response needs in support of track maintenance and repair activities on behalf of railroad customers.
Responsible for safely leading field operations for service delivery related to track building, maintenance and repair. Responsible for leading by example and accomplishment of assignments through hands-on leadership of work crew(s) ensuring the safety of the crew, efficiency and work quality.
- Ensures that track crew(s) are prepared to carry out assignments. Oversees selection of required equipment, materials and manpower.
- Conducts job briefing and reinforces commitment to safety of employees through identification of potential areas of concern.
- Distributes work assignments. Ensures that track crew members have materials, tools &/or equipment as needed to carry out assigned tasks.
- Actively participates in oversight of task accomplishment as required for project completion. Directs assignments and equipment operation and use of manual labor as may be required for completion of project.
- Establishes and maintains positive/professional relationship with co-workers, customers and oversight agencies as required (includes FRA and other agencies that participate in emergency response projects).
- Upon completion of daily work ensures that work crews restore vehicles and equipment to established level of cleanliness and operational condition. Re-stocks supplies for vehicles and equipment upon return to home base.
- Coaches and counsels’ employees in order to develop their knowledge, skills and abilities. Provides on-the-job training and provides opportunities for employees to develop their skill sets including technical skills and interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
- Ensures that Cranemasters policies, procedures and work processes are carried out properly. Trains employees to ensure that they understand policies and procedures and that they comply as needed for smooth operations and flow of communications across the organization.
- Develops and continuously improves communication skills in order to better lead work crews, further customer relationships and foster other relationships.
- Assesses employee performance in order to conduct performance reviews. Meets with employee in order to provide accurate and valuable feedback regarding job performance. Identifies training needs and goals for further development of employee’s skills and works to ensure that employee is afforded opportunity during the following review period to attain established goals.
- Performing any and all duties which ensure the safe, smooth and efficient functioning of the department.
- Complete weekly safety observations.
- Ensures required documentation (data or electronic) is completed accurately and submitted on a timely basis in order to facilitate billing process.
NOTE: Frequent travel required.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Three (3) years experience in track maintenance/repair and new build projects.
- One (1) year of proper leadman/leadership experience in railroad industry.
- Strong and proactive communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of and adherence to safety policies and procedures.
- Must project positive and professional image to customers, co-workers and public.
- Able to read, write and speak English.
- Must pass qualification tests as required (examples: CPR, First Aid, etc.).
Cranemasters is a 24/7 emergency service provider to the railroad industry and as such, this position is subject to work outside of normal working hours including nights, weekends and/or holidays.