The position performs lead role within Thorlabs and is responsible for the facilitation of on-time product distribution by planning, developing and implementing trade compliance policies. Creation and management of business unit level trade compliance policy and procedures. Provide advice and guidance to Senior Management on the application of Government regulations. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Strong knowledge and application of export/import trade regulations to include International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) regulations.
- Extensive, hands-on knowledge of the Automated Customs Environment (ACE)
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and integrate export/import requirements with company's international business strategy.
- Work closely with Worldwide Distribution teams to ensure compliant & timely movement of imported & exported goods.
- Ability to lead a matrixed team of import/export associates in a fast-paced, customer-centric, same day shipping environment
- Experience with Voluntary Disclosures, Duty Drawback, CROSS rulings and CBP-28 responses
- Apply continuous improvement methodology and recommends modifications to compliance processes as needed.
- Represent the organization as primary contact for import, export and third party service providers as well as government entities.
- Experience with RoHS, REACH SVHC, Conflict Minerals and CE Marking requirements
- Develop and maintain all Trade Compliance Policies and Procedures that pertain to: Import, Export, Classification, Country of Origin, Free Trade Agreements and Supply Chain security.
- Minimum 15 years of previous work experience with material importation and exportation processes analysis and preparation
- Custom Broker certification preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in International Business, Supply Chain Management or related field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of export control laws and regulation (US, and preferably European)
- Knowledge of Supply Chain Management, Exportation processes and regulations
- Demonstrate working knowledge of ERP systems, Axapta preferred
- Proficiency in basic computer use (MS Office) and communication tools
- Demonstrated experience in a customer centric environment
- Dependability/Demonstrated ability to Deliver Results
- Strong ability to take initiative/ownership
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills
- Strong attention to details.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Employee Referral Program
- Merchandise Discounts
- Employee Events
- Gym Memberships
- Vacation/paid time off
- Performance bonus
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Paid Holidays
- Free Food and Coffee
- Mobile Phone Discount
- Paid sick days
- Long Term Disability
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Professional Development